Ughhhhh carboy stopper fell into my beer. Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fettersp

Reaction score
So I just finished brewing a 3 gallon batch and I put the stopper in just enough and went to bathroom. My brother wanted to help and thought it wasn't in far enough. Now it's at the bottom of the wort. Is the beer ruined? It sat in no rinse washer for over an hour and was still soaked in it as he said he barely pushed on it. Currently I'm hoping for the best and put the blowoff tube on it going to the sanitizer. Will this ruin my beer?

So I just finished brewing a 3 gallon batch and I put the stopper in just enough and went to bathroom. My brother wanted to help and thought it wasn't in far enough. Now it's at the bottom of the wort. Is the beer ruined? It sat in no rinse washer for over an hour and was still soaked in it as he said he barely pushed on it. Currently I'm hoping for the best and put the blowoff tube on it going to the sanitizer. Will this ruin my beer?

This very question is the first post I ever made on this forum. Same thing happened, and the beer turned out great. Obviously if the stopper was clean and sanitized, that’s good. If you had just pitched yeast, there’s a good chance they will multiply faster than any baddies and overtake them.

if you don't have the setup for a blowoff tube or a spare stopper just wrap a piece of plastic wrap over the opening, hold it on with a rubber band, and poke a pinhole in it. Airlocks have two purposes. One is to allow excess gas to escape without allowing insects in. The other is to amuse the brewer with the bubbles.

if you don't have the setup for a blowoff tube or a spare stopper just wrap a piece of plastic wrap over the opening, hold it on with a rubber band, and poke a pinhole in it. Airlocks have two purposes. One is to allow excess gas to escape without allowing insects in. The other is to amuse the brewer with the bubbles.

And oh how it amuses me ;)

If it was sanitized as it should have been anyway, no problem.
Always good to have extra stoppers, etc, but if you don't... personally I'd put a sanitized piece of aluminum foil over it, and would not poke a hole... Gas will still be able to escape but the chances of letting anything in should be smaller. My house isn't exactly full of bugs, but usually through the course of a fermentation, at least one fruit fly will end up in the airlock sometime during the 2-3 weeks it's in the fermenter. Those suckers are TINY, and I would think they could make it through even a very small poked hole in the top. ymmv.

So while you were in the bathroom, your brother pushed the stopper too far into the bunghole and now you can't get it out?
RDWHAHB

Back