Typical sankey keg pressure for commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting married in June, and our venue is kindly allowing us to bring homebrew. They will supply the draft system and a bartender to pour the pints, so I need to package in standard sankey kegs to make the operation as seamless as possible for their staff.

I plan to chat with their bar manager as the date gets closer, but in the meantime, can I assume that most commercial kegs in the US are pressurized to roughly the same level when they leave the breweries? I poked around with Google and it seems like 2.7-2.8 volumes might be typical. Can anyone verify or discredit this figure?

I'm thinking about this early because if their draft system is balanced for 2.7 volumes, I won't plan to brew 15 gallons of English mild or Irish stout. But American ales and even Hefeweizen would be good candidates.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Yep, most BMC beer is carbed to 2.7 vol, but that doesn't mean you have to go that high. Since it's just one night, the higher serving pressure won't change the carb level that much. If you wanted to serve higher carbed beer at a lower pressure you might have problems though. I say brew what you want, and carb it to any level up to 2.7 vol.

Yep, most BMC beer is carbed to 2.7 vol, but that doesn't mean you have to go that high. Since it's just one night, the higher serving pressure won't change the carb level that much. If you wanted to serve higher carbed beer at a lower pressure you might have problems though. I say brew what you want, and carb it to any level up to 2.7 vol.

Good point! That hadn't occurred to me, but you're right -- the beer won't absorb much CO2 in one evening. Guess I'm too used to taking weeks to kick a keg rather than hours.

Cool, I can serve anything under 2.7, then. Thanks!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back