Type of bottles for mead storage 2 + yrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunxter

Reaction score
I have flip tops and crown cap type bottles which would be better for bottling mead? I figure on a few years and i dont have cork type bottles atm?

Either one works well. If you use crown caps, use the kind with oxygen absorbing liners & you might consider waxing as an added protective measure; it also lends some aesthetic value. Fliptops are easier, quicker, work just fine & have a certain aesthetic value of their own. I mostly use 1L fliptops cuz they're quicker & easier, though sometimes I still bottle in 12 oz bottles with crown caps for sampling purposes. That way I can have a good sample & not open a full liter. If you bottle, say, a 6pk of 12oz bottles out of a 6 gallon batch, you can really see/taste how your mead is progressing over the years.
Regards, GF.

Great idea im gonna do just that. Flip tops with a few crown caps to sample. This is my first batch of mead and im pretty stoked to see how it develops over time.

Back