Type of bottels to use for sparkling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy072

Reaction score
I'm making elderflower sparkling wine and I'm trying to work out what bottles to use I know the swing top glass bottles are good but I herd they sometimes explode, so I was thinking of using plastic ( PET ) screw top bottles instead ( less shrapnel ).

Any one have any knowledge of this ?

andy...do you plan on pasteurizing once appropriate carbonation has been achieved? If so, PET will not work. I have used beer bottles, for smaller volume, and champagne bottles.

Pasturising is used to stop the bottle fermentation to stop it being over carbed and leaving some sweetness in the brew.

You don't need to pasturise if you have the correct amount of priming sugar to carb the brew.

Beer bottles would be the easiest to get. But champagne bottles would be great if you can find them.

Beer bottles are NOT ideal for sparkling wines, they have a lower rating then champagne bottles or belgian beer bottles.

I'm not disagreeing, but they are rated to 4 atmospheres, and that should be plenty! Carbing beyond that is not something I would reccomend...

Latest posts

Back