Two-Year Old Hops From LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

My LHBS is selling hop pellets by the pound for around $13-$16, from 2017 harvest. Anyone have experience with bulk hops this old? I would imagine a reputable LHBS (and this one is GREAT!) would only sell them if they’ve been well-kept and all that. I’m just starting to buy hops in bulk, and this could be a steal, IF the hops are viable. Thoughts?

jackson

Kept frozen then no problem. Hops will last for a long time if kept frozen.

I actually have purchased a one pound lot of hops off of Ebay for just about that price. When someone has too many hops they will let them go for a good price.

I just picked up a lb of Cascade for $12.00. I too thought this is a great deal. I dont know how old they are, but they are vacuum packed with 0 oxygen so i'm guessing they will be fine. Looking forward to an all Cascade IPA. LOL :mug:

Hello all,

My LHBS is selling hop pellets by the pound for around $13-$16, from 2017 harvest. Anyone have experience with bulk hops this old? I would imagine a reputable LHBS (and this one is GREAT!) would only sell them if they’ve been well-kept and all that. I’m just starting to buy hops in bulk, and this could be a steal, IF the hops are viable. Thoughts?

jackson

Which varieties? $13-16/lb doesn't sound that good to me...

https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/category_s/2091.htm

Sheepishly, I know that’s true. However, I love supporting my LHBS, especially right now. Good people, and they’ve always been there for me. Shipping speed and care for shipped products has always been top-notch too. It’s a few bucks more than Yakima (I actually did place a couple orders on Yakima after seeing the link too), but I’m okay with that. If I were buying 30 pounds at a time, I might be easier swayed the other direction, haha!

Back