Two Pumps - What do you use it for? Setup Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdragon

Reaction score
Christmas was great for me this year! I got two Chugger SS pumps. Family members didn't communicate to each other who was getting what. :rockin:

SWMBO thinks I don't need both but I heartily disagree! First thought, I'd use one pump for the brewing side and the other pump for a whirlpool/chill recirculation setup. I really want to cut down on the amount of water used for the chilling process but I also want to do a whirlpool simultaneously with the recirculation arm.

I'm in the planning phase to build out a single-tier direct-heat brew stand. I've read many posts here for brew stand builds, it tends to have two pumps. But I wanted to solict for advice, what is your setup if you have two pumps? Or if you want a 2nd pump, for what purpose?

I do 10 gallon batches now so typically, I have around 13 gallons of hot liquid by the time I start the boil.

I have a 17.5 gal Coleman xTreme cooler for the MT, 2 10 gal rubbermaid coolers (serves as my HLT), 20 gal Blichmann BoilerMaker. After I'm done mashing and dumped the grains, I use the Coleman as a sanitizer with PBW solution and one of the Rubbermaids for the Starsan solution.

So a lot of moving hot/cold liquids, the pumps will definitely make it easier. Would camlock connections be a good investment? Do I need to install a 2nd valve on the equipment for input or can I use the same output valve for input when transferring in liquids?

If you need more info, ask away! I try to DIY when I can, more money for the grains :-D

Thanks!!

Take a look at these old threads of mine:

Brewstand build

New Toys

The build was based on the pro level brewing systems I have used.

I am back brewing on a pro level still using a diverter panel to make connections to and from two pumps between the kettle and mash/lauter tun. My current pro system does have a third pump just for the HLT.

1457492_532586336837156_123946993_n.jpg

Back