Two Potentially Lethal Brew Mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homefarmadam

Reaction score
Hey, fam! Missed you guys.

I just hit bottling day on my third batch. The last two didn't go too hot, so I really focused on getting this one right. However, I cracked under pressure. Two things happened on brew day I'd like to run by you.

Maybe it's fine? Maybe it's not?

On November 28th, I started brewing Northern Brewer's Zombie Dirt on my Lil 1 Gallon system. Brewing went as planned. No hiccups...UNTIL...I pitched the yeast. See mistakes below:

**WARNING THESE MISTAKES MADE ME SAD**
  1. I forgot to close the siphon when I poured in the wort.
  • Extremely bone-headed move...when I realized it was splashing all over my socks, I quickly closed it.
  • I lost a decent amount.
    • see the photo attached of the amount I had left - the top of the tape line is the 1 Gallon mark
  1. The top of the yeast packet fell in the wort when I was pitching...
  • No - it wasn't sanitized...I know
  • In a panic, I quickly fished it out with my scissors (which were sanitized!)
What do y'all think? Will these mistakes alter my beer? Fire away.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
As regards the yeast packet incident: Just because something can introduce bad microbes does not mean that it will. Folks were making beer millennia before we knew about sanitation. I would not worry about it.

I do not see any problem with the volume except that you will not have as much to drink as you planned.

The top of the yeast packet fell in the wort when I was pitching...
You are "supposed" to sanitize (e.g., Starsan) the whole packet of dry yeast before cutting the corner off, with sanitized scissors.

But, but, but, are you pitching a whole 11 gram package of dry yeast? That's quite a bit too much for a 1 gallon batch. You could inoculate 5 of those batches with that single yeast pack. That is, if you can keep the yeast sanitary and dry until the last pitch, which is not all that difficult.

"The beer you are drinking is lethal", Film at 11.

Your more than likely fine, other than wet socks.. That sucks..
This being said, I think I have made starters that are larger, looks like a great yeast cake to make other beers from.

Lethal? I was expecting to see something along the lines of bottle bomb shrapnel in the throat or planning to get hammered outside in the cold north and might pass out before I get indoors. As others have said, your beer will still be beer.

Lethal? I was expecting to see something along the lines of bottle bomb shrapnel in the throat or planning to get hammered outside in the cold north and might pass out before I get indoors. As others have said, your beer will still be beer.
Yep. Both glasses of it.😜

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back