Two PM Batches in One Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
Last Saturday I sucessfull brewed two PM batches, a Mint Chocolate Stout and a Winter Spiced Ale. Long day, but totally worth it. I overshot my OG on the Stout by 0.005 and the mash temp by 2 degrees. I undershot the OG on the winter spiced ale by 0.006 but the mash temp was right on. Not too bad for the first two batch day!

I feel like a better brewer for completing two in a day!

Yeah, I usually do two at a time. I pulled two big ol' 1.080-OG all-grain batches out last friday. You don't get to relax as much as you would with a single batch, but the fact that you end up with two brews instead of one is awesome. And when you go back and just do one, it seems like it's almost too easy.

I cranked out two Sunday as well, both weighing in at 1.070. Now I need to brew something a little lighter soon since they will need some time.

Evan! said:
I pulled two big ol' 1.080-OG all-grain batches out last friday

GaryA said:
I cranked out two Sunday as well, both weighing in at 1.070. Now I need to brew something a little lighter soon since they will need some time.

Yeah the stout was 1.07 (supposed to be 1.065) and the winter spiced ale was 1.084 (supposed to be 1.09) so I'm going to need a nice lower ABV beer next. Not BMC low, but lower. The higher OG beers are fun, but potentially dangerous as well!

Evan! said:
and when you go back and just do one, it seems like its almost too easy

I could imagine! I tried my best to utilize as much of the down time as I could to do both, but its hard when you're trying to finish one up to be spending any time on the other. I'll just have to practice more!! And yeah, its totally cool to have two batches going!

I get so busy at that when I set a side a day for brewing I try to use "the DAY" for brewing. Plus I try to choose recipes that will us roughly the same ingrdients so I use nearly everything I bought.

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
Yeah the stout was 1.07 (supposed to be 1.065) and the winter spiced ale was 1.084 (supposed to be 1.09) so I'm going to need a nice lower ABV beer next. Not BMC low, but lower. The higher OG beers are fun, but potentially dangerous as well!

You can always make a Light Haus Ale...I can show you how! ;)

On a serious note though, that's cool that you pulled off two batches at once. I'd really like to try that myself, but I need a little more brew gear before I can pull it off unless I want to try two batches back to back instead of in tandem. Wow, would that make for a long brew day! :p

shunoshi said:
I want to try two batches back to back instead of in tandem. Wow, would that make for a long brew day!

They were pretty close to being back to back...It was a long day. It took me 7 1/2 hrs to do it all. But totally worth it. I'm hoping to improve on the speed of double batching. I probably could use a little more brew gear myself.

Latest posts

Back