Two hearted IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys in attempting my first IPA brew and have two questions. First off I couldn't get crystal 20 only crystal 40 and also when should I dry hop if doing it in my primary??? Dry hop after two weeks should be ok right? Would dry hopping with 1.5 oz be two much as the recipie states 1oz but I had to order by the oz so I have an extra oz?

Thanks
Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the number after the crystal mostly refers to the color, and assuming such a small percentage of crystal is used there will be little difference.

Dry hop in primary after the fermentation is complete, 2 weeks should be great.

Use as much or as little for the dry hop as you want!

Hey guys in attempting my first IPA brew and have two questions. First off I couldn't get crystal 20 only crystal 40 and also when should I dry hop if doing it in my primary??? Dry hop after two weeks should be ok right? Would dry hopping with 1.5 oz be two much as the recipie states 1oz but I had to order by the oz so I have an extra oz?

Thanks
Jamie.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only difference in the crystal would be a color difference: the 40 will be darker. You may want to cut down on the amount of 40 slightly, but I'm not 100% on if that is necessary.

I made a Two Hearted clone as my first brew and I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and then I transferred to secondary and dry hopped for 7 days, then I bottled and let it sit in bottles for 14 days. You will probably be ok with a 2 week primary fermentation, but as a rule of thumb I always primary for 3 weeks. You don't need to transfer to secondary, you can easily dry hop in your primary. That's sort of a personal preference thing. And the extra 0.5 oz for dry hopping shouldn't have any negative effects..if anything it'll just add more hop aroma.

With a Two Hearted recipe I don't think you can really go wrong and you will end up with drinkable beer. The difference will be how close it actually tastes to Two Hearted. Mine was pretty close but I could tell a difference..it still turned out to be a damn good beer. :mug:

Thanks guys...So I used safale us-05 yeast for this recipie, do many harvest yeast that was originally a dry yeast or do most usually just harvest liquid yeasts ??

I'm thinking about rehydrating too as I always get some yeast that stick to the packet and the carboy opening and pouring the yeast in May solve that?

It may. It is said that rehydrating will increase the active yeast population. Ive only used a glass carboy as a primary 1 time and the dry yeast did stick to the opening like you say. Currently i am using buckets so i dont encounter that problem when pitching dry yeast.

The substitution will have a small flavor difference - Crystal 40 will have a slightly more toffee-like quality to it than Crystal 20. That being said, Crystal 40 will taste great in this beer.

Also, experts will tell you that rehydrating dry yeast is best practice in all cases. I've done both with and without rehydrating, and not noticed a difference.

Back