Two hearted clone dry hopping ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribe

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first batch after two rounds of using the coopers kit. I brewed the two hearted clone last Saturday, and the instructions say to let fermentation go for a week and when fermentation slows down place in clean fermenter and add one oz of hops for dry hopping cover and let ferment for another week. I'm on day 9 and fermentation still seems to be chugging away at a steady pace. First I'm wondering if I should let the primary fermentation continue to it seems to slow down more? The primary fermentation is currently in a glass carbouy. For secondary fermentation I was thinking of putting the beer into the coopers plastic fermenter, cleaning the carbouy and sanitizing and putting right back in the glass carbouy adding hops and covering in the dark. Don't know if that is better then using the coopers plastic fermenter that probably doesn't seal as well....and which I intend to use for bottleing? Or if I should just wait another few days until primary fermentation slows and just add hops to the current carbouy, and save the coppers fermenter for the bottling process a week after dry hopping?

Sorry to ramble just looking for some more experience advice then I have or can seem to find.

Thanks
Scribe

I like to dryhop about 5-7 days before packaging, so I'd suggest not dryhopping until about a week before you plan to bottle. Then simply drop them in, and package when the time comes. I wouldn't go by the time suggested by any recipe, but instead going by when the beer is ready for dryhopping and packaging.

I would personally just leave it in the primary for at least 3 week and then do what yooper suggested. Just drop them in, wait 5-7 days and package it up.

Thanks for the replies guys. Puts my mind at ease. I didn't think jumping the gun on dry hopping would be the best just because it said 7 days. Again much appreciated.

Figured I would open an old thread instead of starting a new one. I have the AHS Two Hearted Clone (Kalamazoo) in the primary, 10 days now and it has been at the expected FG 1.012 for 2-3 days. I figure I will leave it another 4-5 days and transfer to secondary to dry hop for 5-7 days and then keg. I just wanted to make sure this sounds good as I have never dry hopped and really want to nail this brew. Unfortunately it has been stuffy and even my basement is around 76-78 degrees, hope that doesnt cause any off flavors.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

I personally would not transfer it to secondary, just leave it in primary.
I usually let my beers sit for a couple weeks after fermentation finishes so the yeast have plenty of time to clean up and floc.
You mentioned your basement has been rather warm. If it was that temp during fermentation your beer was at least 5° warmer than that, and will most likely have esters due to high fermentation temps.

Figured I would open an old thread instead of starting a new one. I have the AHS Two Hearted Clone (Kalamazoo) in the primary, 10 days now and it has been at the expected FG 1.012 for 2-3 days. I figure I will leave it another 4-5 days and transfer to secondary to dry hop for 5-7 days and then keg. I just wanted to make sure this sounds good as I have never dry hopped and really want to nail this brew. Unfortunately it has been stuffy and even my basement is around 76-78 degrees, hope that doesnt cause any off flavors.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Look into a swamp cooler...big tupperware box and fill with water and frozen water bottles. Easy solution for hotter weather.

So you would recommend dry hopping in primary instead of secondary, then right to keg? I want to free the primary so will probably move it but didn't thing you were supposed to dry hop in the primary.

So you would recommend dry hopping in primary instead of secondary, then right to keg? I want to free the primary so will probably move it but didn't thing you were supposed to dry hop in the primary.

Completely up to you. I dry hopped in secondary once, granted it was a carboy, complete PITA, never again for me. But it really doesn't matter.

Yea when I started I got a nice glass carboy and to be honest I wish I used the money on 3-4 extra buckets, that way I could get a few brews rockin at the same time with no transfers...

Latest posts

Back