two elements running on the same outlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
I've used a bucket heater that I've used for my brews for a while (low powered, but gets the job done with my stovetop), but I think that I've decided to pick up a 2ed brewing element to shorten my boil times

I decided on this:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/17D03-002/120V-Electric-Brew-Heater---15.html
(which is a good 40$ cheaper than most places, so that was a deciding factor since I only make 5 gallon batches and everything else seems to cost a LOT with the temp controllers.

It runs at about 1800W
my bucket heater runs at 1000W

Can I run both from the same outlet and not have any issues? or is their something I should to to make sure that no issues occur.

2800w is going to be about 23 amps on what is probably a 15 or 20 amp circuit at best.

I think you're going to have to run them on separate circuits (not just separate plugs).

I've used a bucket heater that I've used for my brews for a while (low powered, but gets the job done with my stovetop), but I think that I've decided to pick up a 2ed brewing element to shorten my boil times

I decided on this:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/17D03-002/120V-Electric-Brew-Heater---15.html
(which is a good 40$ cheaper than most places, so that was a deciding factor since I only make 5 gallon batches and everything else seems to cost a LOT with the temp controllers.

It runs at about 1800W
my bucket heater runs at 1000W

Can I run both from the same outlet and not have any issues? or is their something I should to to make sure that no issues occur.

If your house was built in the 1970's or later you have two 20 Amp kitchen circuits and you can plug the second element in across the kitchen.

Not necessarily. You might have another outlet on a different breaker in that same room. If not, then yes, it might be easiest to find a 20A extension cord and run it from another room. BUT you have to make sure that the outlet you use is STILL on a separate breaker, or risk having issues. It *should* trip if you draw too much current, but you could also overheat the wire.

If you're in a kitchen, check the microwave or garbage disposal as they may be on a dedicated circuit.

Also... Don't forget about GFI protection.

Latest posts

Back