Two Different Half Batches at Once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoudounBrew

Reaction score
Not having the space - nor the desire to shell out the cash for the new equipment - to do a full 5-gallon all-grain brew, I've been doing partial mash, which is great. But I'm tempted to do all-grain.

Of course, if I did, I'd need to do a half batch. I'd used the same method as with my partial mash. I use a nylon bag, get the temp of the water and grain up to ~152 and put the pot in the oven set to 150 degree. Then I pull out the pot, pull the grain bag out with the nylon bag, put that on a strainer above the pot and then sparge with water ~170. With partial mash, I get it up to a boil, add the extract and hops, etc. With a half batch, I'd just go to boil, etc.

But it dawned on me. Hell, as long as I'm doing one half all grain batch, why not do another at the same time. Just get two pots going and do everything twice.

The advantage would be that I can make two different kinds of all grain beers instead of one. Don't get me wrong.; I love beer. But 5 gallons makes a lot of the same kind of beer. I'd like a little variety. Also, it generally take the same amount of time to do a half batch as a whole batch, so why not do two and same some time.

Does anyone do this and, if so, what are some things to watch out for?

Thanks for any help.

LoudounBrew

No reason you can't. I'm doing 1.75 gallon batches aabout everyweek and a half. Got lots of brews to choose from when I'm thursty. Small is better.

Back