Two beers fermenting, differing results so far...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hello again, :)

Ok, so over the weekend I have brewed an American IPA and a Oatmeal Stout. Whilst the IPA has a nice yeast layer at the top and is churning away very nicely the Stout looks much less lively, there is no real yeast layer at the top t speak off and although it is bubbling away it is no where near s fast as the IPA. Maybe ten bubbles per minute versus the IPA which is uncountable. The Stout was started 24 hours before hand and it was bubbling rapidly over the weekend. Is there any cause for concern or is all ok?

Andy

Thanks for the reply guys. Ok, my problem now is the IPA is producing do much yeast/foam at the top of my Carboy that last night I had to drain 1 litre off to avoid it coming out of the Air Lock, this morning I can see that the water in the Air Lock is yeasty coloured and the yeast is still trying to escape.

What's the best course of action?

I wish I just stuck to using a Fermentation Bin like before that had much more head space. :(

Look up blow off tube. I'm doing the centennial blonde recipe right now and I just had to clean my air lock...will switch to blowoff after work today if it gets crudded up again. This is my 6th batch and first time I've had the problem...

Thats great! Having had a look at a few pictures I can see that this is not an uncommon Problem. :) Ill build something like this today.

Andy

The fast fermentation of the Stout and the aggressive fermentation of the IPA suggest that you might be fermenting a little too warm. What's your wort temperature? Do you have a temperature sticker on the carboys? Are they in a fermentation chamber or swamp cooler of any kind, or just sitting out in the room? What's the room temperature?

I had to do a blow off tube. Did the "air lock to blow off" and it seems to be working. Also moved the bucket to a cooler spot to get into the lower end of my yeast's happy zone.

Back