Twistable caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr dictionary

Reaction score
Getting a nice 6 pack from my local grocery store 500ml dark brown glass with twistable caps could these be re-useable with or without the caps will caps u can buy online work or will original caps be ok

Getting a nice 6 pack from my local grocery store 500ml dark brown glass with twistable caps could these be re-useable with or without the caps will caps u can buy online work or will original caps be ok
get/reuse pry off cap bottles.

What @Soulshine2 said. Generally, the twist offs don't work well when you go to put new caps on with a capper. Sometimes you can get it to work, but usually not, in my experience at least.

After going to all the effort and expense of making good home brew, is it worth it to cut corners on bottles? Twisties don't always seal properly, the mouths are thinner and can break during capping. Some people have luck with them, some don't. It's a crap shoot.

Twisties belong in the recycle bin. Get some pop-top bottles.

I have had success using twist-off bottles. The standard caps work fine. I had a bench capper at the time. As z-bob mentioned, the capper might matter. The butter fly cappers are sensitive to the bottle design.

Some twist off cap bottles can be re-used. Soft drink and similar bottles with plastic caps seal up just fine and are designed to hold carbonation. Mr. Beer sells PET bottles with twist off caps that can be re-used many times. I've bottled beer in Bud quarts, using the original twist off cap. I'll be doing a test soon with Blue Moon twist off aluminum bottles, I'll let you know if it works.
But putting a pry off cap on a twist off glass bottle may or may not work and generally is not recommended.

I have a few twist off bottles mixed into my other bottles and use a wing capper. I keep thinking I should discard those twist bottles but I forget and they always seem to hold carbonation. Maybe I'm just the lucky one.

Latest posts

Back