Tweaking my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklar

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed the IPA below and I'm thinking about tweaking it a bit next time.

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.2%
Bitterness: 76.5 IBUs
Color: 9 SRM

Fermentables
Vienna Malt Grain 1.000 lb
Pale Malt (2 Row) US 13.500 lb
Honey Malt 8.000 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 8.000 oz
Total grain: 15.500 lb

Hops
Warrior 1 oz @ 60 42.3 IBUs
Cascade 1 oz @ 20 9.9 IBUs
Columbus 1 oz Boil @ 10 15.3 IBUs
Chinook 1 oz @ 5 7.1 IBUs
Columbus 1 oz Boil @ 0
Dryhop 1oz Columbus, 1oz Chinook

Yeast
WLP001 - California Ale Yeast

I'm pretty happy with the grains, and I liked the beer. Chinook and Columbus is one of my favorite combos.
I want to try and make it more like some IPA's I've had with a really dank (the almost plantlike taste, where you really GET THE HOPS) hop flavor.

I was thinking about adding Mosaic to the mix maybe? I'm a bit worried about that putting it too far towards the fruity side though. So input would be great.

I'm thinking about changing it to:
Warrior .5 oz @ 40 18.6 IBUs
Cascade 1 oz @ 20 9.9 IBUs
Mosaic 1 oz @ 15 16.3IBUs
Columbus 1 oz Boil @ 10 15.3 IBUs
Chinook 1 oz @ 5 7.1 IBUs
Columbus 1 oz Boil @ 0
Mosaic 1 oz @ 0
Dryhop 1oz Columbus, 1oz Chinook

I'd love some input, Thanks!

Hi Sklar,

If i was using those hops I would just use the following:

Warrior @ 60m - 30Ibu
Cascade/Columbus/Chinook @ 10m - 40ibu
Dry Hopped with the same combo used at 10mins.

I think the mosaic would blend well with the 2 C hops and is worth a try also.

Keep the warrior at 60m. Add enough to get 75-80% of your desired IBU. Consider using hop extract (hops shot, etc) for this.

Drop the 20 min addition.

Squeeze the rest of your hops between 10 and 0 mins, then do another 1-2oz whirlpool addition for 30 mins after cooling slightly.

Then double dry hop it after 10 days and after 15 days.

Bottle or keg at day 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot to mention that I also was thinking about playing with a hop stand/whirlpooling

while mosaic will go well with thoe hops, it isnt going to up the dank, thats not a character of that hop, its quite fruity. however, the columbus you already have would do that, so you may want to up the quantities of that

Personally I wouldn't waste the Mosaic, as per dcp27, above. I find it to be pretty subtle, with an almost blueberry quality; prolly get lost in a dank hop bomb. I also agree w/ adamc on his points.

Mosaic's delicious, but as mentioned, not suitable for your stated aim. I think what would help accomplish your goal is not to change the types of hops, but simply the amounts. 5-6oz of late/dry hops is pretty tame by current standards. I'd double or triple that and see how you like it.

I concur with kingwood...you may consider doing a fwh with columbus, then do a serious hopburst at 15-0 then a hopstand...maybe even columbus as mash hop as well. Pairing simcoe or apollo with your existing hops is something else you might try. Whatever you do, pile them on late and heavy for big flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

hmm, right on guys, i'll give 'er a shot when i get back to my brew equipment at school this fall

Agree with mo' Columbus and some Simcoe. You might try just a hint of rye malt, not enough to say "this is a rye IPA", but just enough to spice it up.

Mosiac can work to "enhance" other hop flavors, aromas in my opinion.

I use mosaic quite frequently for both flavor and aroma and would suggest it in any pale or IPA.

In your recipe, I'd put it in the tail end of boil/whirlpool, or dry hop with it. It smells amazing when used as a dry hop.

However, I agree that it may not be necessary in you recipe and might try the other suggestions (upping hop amounts and whirl pooling) before adding a additional new hop.

I might try something along these lines, based on suggestions and tweaking:

1oz cascade @ 20
1oz simcoe @ 15
1oz columbus @ 10
2oz chinook @ 5
1oz columbus @ 5
1oz columbus @ whirlpool
1oz simcoe @ whirlpool

Then probably dry hop 1oz columbus and 1oz of something else

Try using some hop extract (CO2 Extract) for your next batch. I used hop extract in a Pliny Clone I brewed in the spring and it turned out amazing. I went with the 100g cans from http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/category_s/1851.htm and bought some bulk syringes.

Also, I've been doing a 45 min whirlpool at around 200 degress with, Chinook, Centennial, Citra, and Cascade lately. Then dry hopping the last few days with Centennial, Citra, and Cascade. It ends up coming out with a nice grapefruit note.

okay, i brewed the recipe scaled down this summer as a 2.5 gal batch and kind of screwed it up because i didn't have all of my usual equipment.
I'm going to give this hop schedule a go in the next couple of days i think:

ScreenShot2014-09-10at55345PM_zps7c584a8a.png

Latest posts

Back