tweaked pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutenfree

Reaction score
So I tweaked the pale ale recipe I used from my last post by adding more pale malt and using buckwheat. The buckwheat i used as specialty malts because i have noted it makes nice crystal malts. I added about 3 oz of a buckwheat chocolate malt I made for s***s and giggles. The OG came out to 1.043 and began fermenting withing a few hours of adding my 1000ml starter.

11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Millet malt
4.0 oz Buckwheat Chocolate Malt
3 lbs Buckwheat crystal malt
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent
1.00 oz Northdown
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale Fermentis #S-04
2.50 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Mash 1.5 hours)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil)

it's still a bit fresh with a strong buckwheat smell and taste but it turned out nice. I cold crashed it at 35 F for 4 days and then raised it up to 40 F for about 2 more and it ended with a nice sweet flavor upfront and a caramel after taste with a hint of hops added in. it has great head retention and pours nicely but is still left with a hazed look.

from 1.043 it fermented down to about 1.012 at 65 F

All of my partial mashes have been hazy just after carbonation, but cleared up nicely after sitting in the keg at serving temp for a couple more weeks. Flavor seemed to improve dramatically over that period also. Has that been your experience with your all grain batches?

Looks like a good recipe. I have used cascade and E.K.Goldings but not northdown, do you use northdown a lot and like it?

Can you advise how much water you used for mashing, than how much for sparge?

These days i shoot for 1.5 quarts/lb end of mash and leave about 1.1 quarts/lb for the sparge.

Example:
I shoot for 5.5 to 6 gallons into primary so that i get close to a full 5 gallons into the keg. I typically mash 16 lb of grain, use 6 gallons for the mash and 4.5 gallons for the sparge. I will collect about 9 gallons of wart.

That means i have to boil off 3 gallons during the boil. I boil for 80 or 90 min with vigorous boil at the beginning. If i boil off too much i have some bottled or boiled water to top off. I shoot for OG=1.050 to 1.055

Back