Tweak Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoBoo

Reaction score
I submit to the Borg! I am trying to put together my first non-kit recipe. I would like to get a simple stout total volume 2 gallons at 5-6%ABV. This is what I have so far:

2lbs Munton's dark DME
.25lbs Breiss dark chocolate malt
1cup brown sugar
1oz Galena hops
Newcastle dark ale yeast

Please help me refine this.

I am by no means an expert, but I think that a cup of brown sugar to such a small grain/ extract bill is excessive.

Ok. VERY new to extract, so that is what I need to know. THANKS!

@Bob-I am transitioning from Mr. Beer and don't really have the space or need to do 5 gallon batches.
These are exactly the kind of tips I was looking for, thanks all. My last question is about hop schedule. I know a stout isn't really hoppy, so just .5oz at boil, .25oz at 30 and .25oz at last 5 minutes of boil?

Sorry I missed this. For some reason HBT failed to notify me you'd replied.

Gotcha on the Mr Beer. It's actually a pretty neat way to get some batches going!

First, never, EVER use flaked grains in extract/steep brewing. You will gain nothing other than useless sticky glop. Flaked grains must be mashed.

Second, the standard among extract brewers is to use the palest appropriate extract and use specialty grains to arrive at a desired flavor/color. That's not to say you can't use darker extracts. Just be aware that the things which make non-pale extracts non-pale can have a significant effect on how you formulate recipes. When you use pale extract for your base, you can build recipes like an all-grain brewer.

Think of extract like a chicken breast. When you're cooking, you don't want to worry about the chicken breast. You worry about what you're seasoning the chicken with. Same principle applies (generally) with brewing - we use pale malt as our chicken breast. Savvy?

In this case, I suggest swapping the Dark DME for Briess Golden Light. Then add specialty grains to make it a Stout. I'd do this:

2 # Briess Golden Light DME
0.5 # Briess Caramel Malt 60L
0.5 # Simpsons (or other UK) Roasted Barley

The crystal malt will provide a firm body and caramelly sweetness.

Roasted Barley is the signature flavor constituent of Stout, so you need a good wallop of it. In fact, a well-brewed Stout will get much of its bitterness from the Roasted Barley, though hops play an important bittering role as well.

Speaking of which, I'd use 0.5 ounce Galena boiled for 60 minutes. I don't care for late hops in Stout. I find hops flavor/aroma clashes annoyingly with the roasted flavors. Moreover, I find Galena has a relatively coarse flavor/aroma profile.

I've never used the yeast you specify. I prefer to stick with yeasts I've used over and over. In this case, I'd opt for S-04.

May your beer be awesome! :mug:

Bob

EDITED TO ADD: Concur on the sugar. Stick with all-malt.

Bob said:
Sorry I missed this. For some reason HBT failed to notify me you'd replied.

Gotcha on the Mr Beer. It's actually a pretty neat way to get some batches going!

First, never, EVER use flaked grains in extract/steep brewing. You will gain nothing other than useless sticky glop. Flaked grains must be mashed.

Second, the standard among extract brewers is to use the palest appropriate extract and use specialty grains to arrive at a desired flavor/color. That's not to say you can't use darker extracts. Just be aware that the things which make non-pale extracts non-pale can have a significant effect on how you formulate recipes. When you use pale extract for your base, you can build recipes like an all-grain brewer.

Think of extract like a chicken breast. When you're cooking, you don't want to worry about the chicken breast. You worry about what you're seasoning the chicken with. Same principle applies (generally) with brewing - we use pale malt as our chicken breast. Savvy?

In this case, I suggest swapping the Dark DME for Briess Golden Light. Then add specialty grains to make it a Stout. I'd do this:

2 # Briess Golden Light DME
0.5 # Briess Caramel Malt 60L
0.5 # Simpsons (or other UK) Roasted Barley

The crystal malt will provide a firm body and caramelly sweetness.

Roasted Barley is the signature flavor constituent of Stout, so you need a good wallop of it. In fact, a well-brewed Stout will get much of its bitterness from the Roasted Barley, though hops play an important bittering role as well.

Speaking of which, I'd use 0.5 ounce Galena boiled for 60 minutes. I don't care for late hops in Stout. I find hops flavor/aroma clashes annoyingly with the roasted flavors. Moreover, I find Galena has a relatively coarse flavor/aroma profile.

I've never used the yeast you specify. I prefer to stick with yeasts I've used over and over. In this case, I'd opt for S-04.

May your beer be awesome! :mug:

Bob

EDITED TO ADD: Concur on the sugar. Stick with all-malt.

And that is why I love the forums! Excellent insight Bob! When I get to do it, I will run updates on this thread. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back