Turkey hunting!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
Any other brewers out there big turkey hunters? Youth weekend coming this weekend. Taking my olderst (8years old) out for his first hunt ever.

Yep...opener is on the 15th. Which sucks because I'm an accountant doing tax returns on that day. We used to slay the toms when I lived in Montana. Not so easy around here... Good luck!

Depends on how you look at it. They are a pest on the farm and are dealt with as such from time to time.

I do have hunters come in. Youth weekend is the end of the month here. Last year a couple of young brothers doubled up on one. 18# I think it was. It was one of two toms coming in to an easily accessible area and I had advised them where to be and when, as close as you can predict anyway. That was a Sunday and Monday a red fox grabbed the other tom in my yard about 5:30 AM. I did get pictures.

I don't go huntin'....I go killin'. Our season opener isn't till the 22nd....look out. Mmmm, apple wood smoked wild gobbler :)

I get a turkey EVERY time I go hunting for them. They are in the same place every time. It is at the back of the store in the frozen meats section and also in the meat refrigerators.

Our season opened on March 15. I've been every day since. It has been a slow season thus far, but things are starting to get better.

krackin said:
Depends on how you look at it. They are a pest on the farm and are dealt with as such from time to time.

I do have hunters come in. Youth weekend is the end of the month here. Last year a couple of young brothers doubled up on one. 18# I think it was. It was one of two toms coming in to an easily accessible area and I had advised them where to be and when, as close as you can predict anyway. That was a Sunday and Monday a red fox grabbed the other tom in my yard about 5:30 AM. I did get pictures.

Can u post some pics?

SmokeNbrew said:
I don't go huntin'....I go killin'. Our season opener isn't till the 22nd....look out. Mmmm, apple wood smoked wild gobbler :)

I love smoked wild turkey. And the apple wood goes well with it. Have u ever cubed it and deep fried it? AMAZING

delta said:
Our season opened on March 15. I've been every day since. It has been a slow season thus far, but things are starting to get better.

There not very vocal in the beginning of the season. There locked up with hens!! Good luck

I'd love to go sometime. Never have and none of my buddies do it, so its difficult to forsee myself ever going ;(

Deb and I each killed a Rio Grande yesterday. Both nice long breards. Got a coulpe pics posted here under yelp yelp yelp. Good luck and safe hunting to everybody. Post some pics. Mike

I had one come in this morning and put on a good show for about an hour....he walked behind a tree at about 50 yards and vanished...poof. Somehow he ended up a few hundred yards behind me (or another bird with the same distinctive gobble....I hunted this bird for the last two years and it's good to know he's still alive). I'm now convinced that the birds on my place either have an extensive system of tunnels or are able to teleport themselves at will.

I'm about to see if I can get on one behind the house.

I've got a tom in one of my fields who has been strutting his stuff some. Much to his dismay, the crows and deer aren't all that interested. What a great time for dead batteries, lol. Pretty good chance I'll get another try though.

Back