Tun Tavern 1775

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarker8541

Reaction score
Anyone know of a beer historian by chance?? I have asked around for a couple years now, including long conversations with people from yeungling. Not much information left about it. Apparently, it was a craft beer pub in a sea of 'bigger' breweries. Also happens to be the birthplace of our nations 'first call' the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. I'm trying to find one or two recipes I can produce. Make a decent amount and present/donate to the Marines attending the marine corps ball, I cant make enough for every marine corps ball, but it could be a neat little tradition to start. Give these Marines a taste of what it was like during their mass 'birth'. It would be neat to see their faces as they take part of one of the first traditions in corps, BEER!!! Any kind of help would be appreciated!!
Thank you all

I have a couple of ale and beer recipes (posted one somewhere here). Pretty much pale malt of the day (maybe mix 8/1 pale and amber malt) to make a wort with an OG around 1.100 and then a single hop charge for bittering up to 150+ IBU with Cluster and Goldings. That's based on what large country houses used to brew (a good few barrels in one go). Boils and mashes were long, with often as many as five mashes at temperatures up to 176F. Not sure about FG, but I wouldn't expect attenuations above 65%. I can find you a recipe, but they are crude (in bushels) and I extrapolate the mash from early 1800s mash schedules as old cookery books expect every reader to have a brewer.

Ah, there you go. Beer from the 1750-1770 period:

Strong Beer
112 Imperial gallons
18 bushels malt
18 pounds hops

Mash for 3 hours, boil 3 hours.

Source is Helen Weldon's cookery manuscript dated January 29 1778.

Okay, I'm confused. Do you want a historical beer recipe - with which I can assist, for I am a historical brewing enthusiast - or do you want information from Tun Tavern Brewpub in Atlantic City?

I mean, historical beer recipes, that opens up a whole can o' worms. But we can easily work through it. :D

Bob

That's a really nice idea. I'm sure those young Marines will be more than appreciative.

Here's a commonly cited recipe from the Ben Franklin era. My guess is that Ben would have been happy to stop by Tun Tavern and buy a couple of brews for fledgling Leathernecks.

http://www.benfranklin300.org/etc_article_ale.htm

You might also want to check out Ron Pattinson's blog, or his excellent new book of classic recipes. It might not be historically accurate, but I have a couple of bottles of 1914 Courage Imperial Stout that I brewed from one of his recipes saved to celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday this year.

Back