tubing and pumps for 60gal batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvestel

Reaction score
We are trying to scale up to about a 50 or 60 gal batch. we would like to start pumping our liquides from one container to another.

Are there any suggestions about tubing ID size and pump size (HP and what ever specs you might need) recommended for this size of a batch setup?

I'm thining of using tri-clamp fittings, perhaps a 1 or 1.5" size.

Any suggestions on where to get the pumps?

Most around here are using March Pumps - there seems to be a following for the Little Giants coming on and a few are building their own positive displacement pumps (peristaltics) - each has pros and cons. There are a ton of industrial pumps if you are serious enough to make that investment?

There are quite a few discussions ongoing about pumps - just search for one of the pumps you are interested in.

The only difference with batch size is time to pump - I can move a 10-12 gallon batch in 5-10 minutes. I use a March pump, 1.5" tri-clamps and high temp silicone tubing (1/2") I only re-circ to chill and use the same set-up to pump cooled wort to the primary.

I make 30 gallon batches and use 1/2" ID norprene tubing and a march pump. I wish I had a beefier pump and larger ID tubing. I would go with 3/4" ID tubing as a minimum. I would think that march or little giant makes a bigger pump that would handle the high temps.

I'd be looking in the 1/8 - 1/10 horsepower range. Little giant TE-5 or TE-7 but make sure it's got the black pump head, not the white. The white is only rated to 160F I believe.

The MLT is based on the 100gal Rubermaid stock trough
rubm4245.jpg

which has a drain on the bottom side (this is where we connected the braided drain line)
the unit was then wrapped in wooden boards similar to those that you would wrap a hottub in, and the cavity was filled with spray foam.

the top is made of a sheet of a HDPE sheet (Same material as a cutting board)
http://www.interstateplastics.com/detail.aspx?ID=HDPEcuttingboard-SN037
one end was cut off so that a hinge could be added and be bolted down to the top of the bin.

Once that was done, a hole was drilled in the anchor section of the lid to feed the sparge arm, which was done just like you would for any MLT but larger.

I sent this to "Mark Longobardi" <[email protected]> at March pump:

I know the 809-PL-HS-C is suggested for home brewers. Any
>>>> suggestion for a slightly higher flow rate/performance pump
>>>> that can also be used at boiling water temperatures (for brewing
>>>> beer...)

and he sold me this pump:
Model AC-3CP-MD-CM 115 volt
curve: http://www.marchpump.com/documents/curves/3-Series/3-MD_Family_50-60HZ.pdf

This pump had about twice the pumping speed over the 809-PL-HS-C
809-PL-HS-C curve: http://www.marchpump.com/documents/curves/Hydronic_Pump-Series/809-PL-HS.pdf

it was $203 with tax!

More info details:
March Magnetic Drive Pump
Model AC-3CP-MD-CM 115 volt

with polysulfone housings and impeller,
with ceramic ( bare ) magnet attached to impeller,
with buna "N" o-ring
with ceramic shaft and thrust washer
with 3/4" female pipe thread inlet
with 1/2" male pipe thread outlet
with 3 foot cord on motor, no plug
with mounting base on motor

MSRP $207. each, fob manufacturing plant, Glenview, IL 60026
We can ship one week after receipt of a purchase order.

For your information, this AC pump is similar in performance to the BC
model that we previously quoted. The pump performance is exactly the same....the difference is in the motor. The BC motor is a Blast Cooled motor and a lot more expensive than the AC motor which is an air cooled motor. Both are fan cooled......and both are designed to handle your application. If you choose to purchase this pump, please place your order with our authorized distributor in San Jose, Ryan Herco Flow Solutions 1-800-848-1141, [email protected] When placing this order please tell RHFS that the order should be sent to the attention of Fred Zimmermann, at the factory. He is familiar with this application and can guide this order thru our production department. When installing this pump in your brewing system, we strongly recommend connecting the motor cord to a GFCI outlet. Thanks for your interest in our brewing pumps and if you need any other information, you can always contact me.

Mark Longobardi, Regional Manager
March Manufacturing, Inc.
714.743.8937 Cell, 714.775.7709 Fax
[email protected]

thansk for the help all. thought i'd let everyone know what i got.

I still use my "standard" march pump and 1/2" tubing and valves to move 60 gal. Works fine, though of course it takes a few minutes longer than moving 10 gal.

Sparging for 60 gal batch:
sparge1.jpg

Back