Tube and Shell heat exchanger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what it is, I mean what size and materials are we comparing? Are you not satisfied with your counter-flow chiller?

Tube and shell heat exchanger effectiveness is primarily driven by prime surface (hot liquid on one side and cold directly on the opposite surface). This is the same for a counterflow chiller. So it comes down to total surface area and the rate of flow of each fluid across them. Some counterflow chillers have a convoluted inner tube to increase turbulence, but the same is true in many shell and tube designs too. To get a more exact prediction than simply surface area comparisons you need to dig out the thermal dynamics formulas.

You didn't ask about plate coolers, but they are the most compact designs due to smaller passages disrupting the boundary layers in the fluids, causing turbulence plus more surface area as well. Some designs will use inserted fins to further increase the avenues for heat transfer beyond just prime surface.

So off the top of my head. most CFC are 12 ft with 3/8" tubing. that you can only cram so much fluid in at a time. A tube and shell say I take a 3" X 12" tube and can fit about 20 3/8 tubes in it. I could open a march pump up full bore and should get a significant amount of cooling in comparison. (im not good at thermodynamics)

Go for a helical baffle design with duplex SS tubes. Far more efficient than standard tube and baffle layouts. :cool:

Latest posts

Back