Tub of Soaking Bottles Froze!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Had a batch of bottles soaking in a tub in the garage to loosen the labels. Temperatures plummeted last weekend, and I discovered that my soaking bottles had turned into a block of ice!

None of them appear to be broken, but I am concerned about the integrity of the bottles once carbed with a batch of beer.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have a boatload of bottles, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to recycle them.

Thanks!

You should be fine. Yes, water expands as it freezes, but if I got you correctly, your bottles were soaking it tub - so water had where to expand to.

Glass bottles may shatter if frozen tightly sealed and with liquid inside. Not your case.

Had a batch of bottles soaking in a tub in the garage to loosen the labels. Temperatures plummeted last weekend, and I discovered that my soaking bottles had turned into a block of ice!

None of them appear to be broken, but I am concerned about the integrity of the bottles once carbed with a batch of beer.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have a boatload of bottles, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to recycle them.

Thanks!

Thaw and use. Do not try and use them while still encased in ice.

Latest posts

Back