TSP 90 to clean wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tborow

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a wort chiller and they recommend cleaning it before first use with Red Devil TSP 90. I picked up a bag of it and I'm really confused on the best way to measure and just make a 5 gallon batch. Has anyone had to use this cleaner before? How much to a 5 gallon batch?

The recommendation to use TSP is to remove any machine oil residue or grime that may be on the tubing from manufacturing. I recall only using soap/water and scrubbing mine before adding to the boil the first time.

The amounts of TSP to use vary on strength needed. 1 Tbsp per gallon should do the trick.

What people are doing is mixing the TSP and Oxyclean to make a Pseudo PBW cleaner. The ratio I see is 70/30 Oxy to TSP.
Try 1 oz. Per gallon. Also it works best in warm water. I circulate it through my plate chiller at 120 degrees while I'm cleaning up.

You guys are the best. This held me up from brewing this past weekend. I appreciate the responses!

Back