TSP/90 in Canada or substitute to make PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Would like to make PBW using Oxyclean. I can't find the Red Devil TSP/90 in Quebec (Canada).

Do you guys have Copps Build-All out in QC? It's the only place I've been able to find it in Ontario

It's sodium metasilicate. Companies other than Red Devil make it, and it can have other names than TSP-90...

Look for phosphate-free degreasers... And then check the ingredients for sodium metasilicate. In California, I can get it in most small hardware stores as well as big box places like Home Depot & Lowes (near the paint supplies often, as it's used to clean walls prior to painting), Walmart, also online via Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Don't get hung up on the manufacturer or product name... As long as it's sodium metasilicate, you're good.

Edit to Add:

You can also just use regular TSP... Others have reported good luck with that, as well.

In Ontario you can't get tsp 90 so I've just been using plain regular tap. No issues, gets brew hear clean

Nellie's laundry soda has sodium metasilicate (tsp 90 stuff)
This is what i use for laundry and homebrew cleaning

Costco.ca has it

Nellie's laundry soda has sodium metasilicate (tsp 90 stuff)
This is what i use for laundry and homebrew cleaning

Costco.ca has it

Do you cut it with Oxi-Clean free or anything? Or just use it as is?

Do you cut it with Oxi-Clean free or anything? Or just use it as is?
Sometimes I do, with no particular reason. But I am not very methodical for this. Sometimes I let it soak for a week even when I used only oxiclean. Lol

Vinegar takes care of any white haze afterwards.

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I just figures out something today. Resolve Oxi Action already has the surfactant (sodium silicate) in the formula. Works very well as a substitute for PBW. Just make sure to rinse well.

Back