Trying to save a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circitmage

Reaction score
Newbie mistake (even though I've been brewing for 25+ years ;-)

Trying to make a White Claw clone
Made my sugar wash/must ... OG 1.118 ... 6 gallons
Cooled to pitching temp, proofed then pitched my yeast and added some FermaidO
Added a strawberry flavoring extract I liked previously
No activity after a day at 68 farenheit

Confused, I proofed another batch of the same yeast - its going great!
Then looked at the ingredients on the flavoring, it contains "Sorbic and Sodium Benzoate" (enough for 4 gallons)
D'oh - I was supposed to add this after fermentation was mostly over

Is there anything I can do to save this batch? ... right now I have 6 gallons of sugar water

ohhhh ... thanks for that ... Needed to dust off some old biochem books for that one ;-) ... seeing that the Calgon BG-HHM activated carbon filter was the best ... sounds like I may be able to just run this through my Brita ;-)

Round 1 with an older Brita

Attachments

• 20210205_180050.jpg
    20210205_180050.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Update - plan on running the 6 gallons through a Brita twice ... First time just finished and took hours due to yeast and nutrient particulate ... But newly filtered (1x) must allowed new yeast to PROOF!!!! ... Going to do it a second time to with a new filter, measure OG and then get back to brewing!! ... THANK YOU JTRATCLIFF!!

Final update on this ... ran my 6.5 gallons of Sorbate contaminated must through a used Brita filter once and a second time through a new filter ... took two days (I think the dissolved sugar may have clogged the filter but the filters didn't seem to gain that much weight?) ... pre filtered OG was 1.118, post filtered OG was 1.095 ... heat sterilized, cooled and pitched more DADY with nutrient ... its fermenting away nicely now

OG 1.118 for a White Claw clone? Won't that be about a 14% abv (just spit balling)?

yup ... ~14% ABV pre-dilution ... dilute, backsweeten, force-carbonate, bottling and pasteurizing next ;-) ... plan on bringing it in around 7-8%

Back