trying to make co2 as cheap as possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
I have a kegerator that came with a sanke coupler. The coupler seems cheap. I have had mixed results with it. I have a 5lb cylinder. I spray it all down with soapy water after the initial hook up to check for leaks. I've been buying 1/2 kegs from the local brewery for 140$ red ale at 7.0 abv cheaper than I can do extract brewing. Sometimes the co2 last for a few kegs. Other times I've lost it fast even after checking with the soapy water and being really anal. It cost me 24 to fill the 5 lbr. Question is do I keep a 20 lb tank in the garage and just weigh and refill the 5 myself or leak check every hour I'm home. The last keg I was turning it off and putting 30 psi to it when I wanted to serve but Its gone now without even pushing a 1/2 keg. I have tap beer because I can't even hardly drink bottled beer unless its craft. The cost is OK unless I lose the co2 then its not worth it and Jim beam can get dangerous.

do I keep a 20 lb tank in the garage and just weigh and refill the 5 myself or leak check every hour I'm home.

Fill it yourself...then leak check it...as long as is aint floating away you will save quite a bit.. make sure the 20 pounder has a siphon tube.

Cheers

Honestly, I really don't know if turning the tank upside down creates big problems. Never tried it.

None of the regular homebrew tanks have a siphon tube. It needs to be installed specifically, and on an empty tank.

But the larger question remains: Why do you lose gas? I would trace and fix that, before anything else, regardless of whatever tank you've connected.

Leaky regulator? Leaky connections? Bad O-rings? Damaged Sanke coupler?

Keg lube on the O rings doesn't hurt either. But definitely locate your leak. Nothing worse than running out of gas. Try a submerge for a while in a full size trash can. Some leaks are that slow.

Back