Trying to get back into the hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerLynx

Reaction score
I've bean brewing off and on for ages, but I haven't done any in a couple years..
My work and day to day life just got too stressful for me to really enjoy it.
Especially the setup, cleaning, and take down when I didn't have a dedicated space for it.

But I think I finally have the time to finish building a proper custom three (two and a half ish) pot brew system.
So I figured I should join this community and see if the experts can help me refine the design.

I did manage to finish building my custom kegerator a couple years ago.

Welcome back and welcome to the gang! Lots of help to be found here.

Finding time seems to be the biggest factor in ones brewing. You could spread your brew time over a couple days.

I brew on a four vessel system, all grain. On the first day I'll weigh out and mill grain into the mash tun. I'll fill the HLT, dial in the temp the switch it on. After that I'll make sure everything else is ready for my second day. Day two is the brew. I can do some cleanup but I can also do some of that on a third day.

Spreading time out may help but getting it all done has advantages too. You'll need to be the judge on that.

I'm self employed, so it's probably better for me to do it over one day.
What's a four vessel system?
I couldn't find a good diagram for it.

My old system was still all grain, but brew in a bag using a large pot with a 4500w element.
New system is sort of like a HERMS, but using a small sealed chamber for the HLT.
That'll use a pair of large Kegs for the MT and BK, and I'll be converting some 30l kegs to use as fermenters.

I'm self employed, so it's probably better for me to do it over one day.
What's a four vessel system?
I couldn't find a good diagram for it.

My old system was still all grain, but brew in a bag using a large pot with a 4500w element.
New system is sort of like a HERMS, but using a small sealed chamber for the HLT.
That'll use a pair of large Kegs for the MT and BK, and I'll be converting some 30l kegs to use as fermenters.
My four vessels consist of a HLT, electric powered that provides hot water for the mash. The mash tun, insulated with a slotted manifold on the bottom. The brew kettle, gas fired. The fourth vessel, that most folks don't have is a filtering grant. It's a converted quarter barrel keg with a stainless mesh basket. I use it between the mash tun and brew kettle and again between the boil kettle and plate chiller. It acts as a filter and accumulator, a pump is connected on the bottom outlet.

If all the setup, cleaning, takedown stuff was an issue and still consideration, might want to look into the single vessel BIAB thing before getting into a ton of gear.

I hear/read it's quite good.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I missed a post. I see you were at BIAB but apparently desire more cleanup and futzing. ;)

Welcome back to the madness @TinkerLynx. There are many ways and configurations to achieve brewing great beers. This site offers an array of possibilities to consider when setting up your new system. My suggestion is take your time and make good decisions that provide you with the set up that is right for you. Keep on brewing make yourself happy. Prost!

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I missed a post. I see you were at BIAB but apparently desire more cleanup and futzing. ;)
Ouch.

This is a big problem with many hobbies. Do you start making furniture, or do you spend the first 10 years creating the perfect all-Festool workshop? Do you buy a Taiwanese lathe today, or do you spend years waiting for some widow to sell you a like-new Monarch for $400?

I made the mistake of buying a used Braumeister and then learned that in addition to the huge expense, it was harder to use and clean up than a bag combined with a pot I already had. And machine beer is no better than bag beer.

I was doing 20l batches BIAB but using the kitchen counter, so I had to clean and put everything away in the afternoon so I could cook dinner.
Sins the new setup will be plumbed right in I expect the time it takes me to clean will be about the same, but I won't have to put any equipment away.
But yes, it's a hobby first, I'm just trying to minimize the boring part.
And building the brew system is part of the fun for me.

I was doing 20l batches BIAB but using the kitchen counter, so I had to clean and put everything away in the afternoon so I could cook dinner.
Sins the new setup will be plumbed right in I expect the time it takes me to clean will be about the same, but I won't have to put any equipment away.
But yes, it's a hobby first, I'm just trying to minimize the boring part.
And building the brew system is part of the fun for me.
You'll fund lots of inspiration here plus as Murph said lots of help. Everyone here has been helpful in many ways but what works best for INE might be totally different for another. Sift through the responses and see what could work for you.

As always keep learning, keep asking questions!

My four vessels consist of a HLT, electric powered that provides hot water for the mash. The mash tun, insulated with a slotted manifold on the bottom. The brew kettle, gas fired. The fourth vessel, that most folks don't have is a filtering grant. It's a converted quarter barrel keg with a stainless mesh basket. I use it between the mash tun and brew kettle and again between the boil kettle and plate chiller. It acts as a filter and accumulator, a pump is connected on the bottom outlet.
Are you able/do you ever use it as a hopback?

Are you able/do you ever use it as a hopback?
My filtering grant could be used as a hop back although I don't use it as such. It has crossed my mind to try it though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_123335777_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240318_123335777_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back