trying to figure out high fusel alcohols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
Made a AG pale ale, mash temps were about 145 lower then wanted. OG 1.053 and checked to today at 1.010 so right were I want. on day 12 today i tasted and notice a bit of the high fusel alchols in there. Not much of the hop flavor i was looking for but that is another issue. I was brewing 2 10 gallon batches and had to hustle to get this one cooled and ran it faster then normal thru my wort chiller go it to abot 81 deg and in my hurry I pitched it as well at that temp ( wyeast 1056) was at about 70. It took nearly about 12-18 hours to get it down to 70 deg were it stayed for the 11 days at 69 to 70. I know my beer is still green at this point but is this high pitching rate the most likely reason for this taste? Will time help?

Thanks,

Dale

High temps are the issue. They'll fade slightly but not completely.

do you think teh 69/70 was the issue or the pitching and first 24 hours at 81 the issue?

thanks

Speaking from my personal experience, high initial fermentation temps are a killer. When you sniff the airlock and smell nail polish remover, you know you screwed up. I know, I did.

Thanks for the input. This batch is not on the keg and I hate it.. Drinking it since I have 10 gallons but it was a problem child since the mash. The fusal Alchol has faded a little but I screwed up the mash temps too and it was around 143 so it is very heavy and does really have much taste. might just be green.

Dale

Day 7 of a AG smoked porter, pitched temps were good, Og was 1.062 hoping for a 1.010 to 1.012 fg. air locks were very lite and one bucket did do much at all. I am at 1.024 right now. 10 gallon batch. Should I pitch 1/2 a pack to both buckets or a whole packet to each?

Thoughts?

High initial temps hurt you and caused fusels. If 69/70 was the air temp the fermenting beer was at least 3-5 degrees higher and hurt you too. IMO if you're making 10 gallon batches you need to be cautious because that's a ton of beer to dump or suffer through.
I hope this batch mellows, but I doubt the higher alcohols will diminish.

Latest posts

Back