trying to enjoy wheat beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatcapBrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I always here people saying that they realy enjoy wheat beers and i keep trying to like them but i just dont seem to like the taste, i have had my share of them but in general will not drink one unless it is given to me because i have never been to partial to the flavor.
I really have tried to enjoy them since they do make up quite a catagory of beers and im looking for a good wheat beer recipe that will hopefully open my palate to these beers.

There's nothing wrong with disliking certain styles of beer. Many people find the phenolic flavor associated with wheat beer yeasts to be unpalatable at any level.

I agree... i guess i was just hoping that there were a few i would like... maybe ill find something

I feel the same way, yet have brewed three hefe's. All of which I disliked. However, next week I am trying a hybrid half pale ale/half wheat beer next week. I am really trying to like them too. Maybe this compromise will help get the ball rolling.

Weizenbock is drastically different from your average Hefe, tried that yet?

Also, if you're not into the yeast character, you could make an American wheat beer with plain old American ale yeast.

I don't see what the deal is. If you don't like it, you don't like it. What wheat beers have you tasted? Were they US/European recipes? Were they commercial/homebrewed? Were they brewed in the US/Europe?

It really does make a difference.

I don't see what the deal is. If you don't like it, you don't like it. What wheat beers have you tasted? Were they US/European recipes? Were they commercial/homebrewed? Were they brewed in the US/Europe?

It really does make a difference.

Agreed. I don't really enjoy the malt profile of wheat dominant beers. however, I do think that a yeast like Weihenstephan yeast, typical of German weizens, really adds a delicious complexity to the beer. IMO using Cal yeast doesn't do anything for the beer. I am perfectly happy never making an American wheat. You shouldn't feel obligated either.

I love an American Wheat!

However, I made a Hefe with Weihenstephan and I couldn't drink it. I thought that I'd really screwed something up. I gave most of it away.

I've since tried several commercial brews that tasted very similar and Hated them too. I went to my first club meeting the other night and there was a guy there who is a multiple award winning brewer. He had a wheat beer that tasted very similar to mine. That made me feel a lot better. It reassured me that I didn't screw mine up. I just don't like the style. There's nothing wrong with that.

Unless you're brewing for someone else and they're buying the ingredients or maybe for a contest, then brew the beer you like.

Yeah. There isn't anything wrong with not liking a certain beer. As I have said before, I'm not a fan of stouts or porters.

Though I've picked up quite a few Black and Tans in these past few months. Maybe I'm slowly working a nice, smooth stout.

A lot of beers are seasonal and compliment different palates, dishes, seasons, ect. I can rarely stomach a wheat beer in the middle of winter, though they are fantastic in the summer. I love a good IPA, but I don't think I could drink one on the beach. The list could go on.

Alright, I'm off to work.

I'm not a wheat beer fan at all. I just don't like the taste of wheat in beer. It doesn't seem to matter WHAT kind of wheat beer it is, I just don't care for it.

I figure it's fine- there are still many other beers that I love so not liking wheat hasn't stopped me from drinking plenty of beer anyway.

AS has been said before, ther eis nothign wrong with disliking a certain style of flavor. There are many, many different beers to choose from. No reason to have to drink that few that you don't like.

But if you still want to try to like them, Belgian Wit might be something to try. Also there are many different wheats like dark wheats, etc. They all have different flavor(s).

I don't care for them either. But, there's quite a few beer styles on my "just don't care for" list. Drink and brew what you like.

I was the same way about wheats but have grown over the years to really enjoy the complexity they manage to bring to the table. Certain strains of yeast are very tempermental and with precise control of temperature you can really hone in on denouncing that phenolic twang. Some yeasts are more trouble than others. No reason to venture down a path that you don't want to go but if you do you might want to try adding certain spices, and (do I dare say it) fruit.

to that note, i've been very intrigued from the "blood orange hefe" recipe floating around.

but, as of this moment, my stance is still a hatred for wheats.

I love me some wheat beers. They usually go down like water especially in comparison to other styles I enjoy. Maybe you'll warm up to them after trying a few different wheat styles?

I used to really love wheat beers, but now it seems like the only way I will drink them is if there is no other beer to drink. Anyways just drink and brew what you like!!!

Hi everyone,
... im looking for a good wheat beer recipe that will hopefully open my palate to these beers.

Here is my house American Wheat...my family and friends love it, and it mixes well with lemonade on a hot summer day:

OG = 1.044, FG = 1.010, IBU = 18, SRM = 5, Mash temp = 154
50% American 2-row malt
50% German red wheat malt
A handful of rice hulls to aid in lautering
1 oz US Goldings @ 60 mins
0.25 oz US Goldings @ 0 mins
0.25 oz Centennial @ 0 mins
Fermentis SafAle US-05, fermented at 62 degrees

I've tried a few different yeasts, and plain old American ale yeast works best for me in this beer. If I want more yeast character in a wheat beer, I'll brew a Hefe or Wit or something.

Cheers!

If I could have one beer and only one beer for the rest of my life it would be a German wheat beer. The single greatest beer of my life was in a little brew pub in Arizona and they had just tapped their Hefe. It was crisp, refreshing, and full of flavor. I kick myself still to this day because I first tried their sampler and only had time for one other pint of the hefe.

However, I made a Hefe with Weihenstephan and I couldn't drink it. I thought that I'd really screwed something up. I gave most of it away.

My experience exactly. Just a nasty flavor..funny thing is I like Widmer hefe in the summer with a wedge of lemon..

I'll not give up but it'll be a while before I brew another wheat

I feel the same way about hoppy beers as the OP is about wheat beers. I can't get into them. They taste like complete foulness to me. I wish I could get into them, so I could enjoy more kinds of beers, but I haven't found any that really make me want to finish the bottle, let alone have another.

I've just come to accept that.

There seem to be quite a few things that sound excellent that would make a good beer, as someone posted earlier something about blod orange hefe. something like that catches my eye but i just seem to not be into wheat beers so that kind of keeps me from making something like that. I will still give wheat beers a sample and im thinking of maybe doin a 2.5 gallon batch of some sort of wheat just to say ive made one and if i dont like it ill pawn that on my friends when they ask for a beer ;) Ill continue my search to find one and if i dont there are plenty of other beers that i do like so it shouldnt be a whole lotta sweat off my back. thanks everyone for their advice!!!

I use to think wheat beers that i'd tried were spoiled/skunked, but then I realized that's what they are supposed to taste like. Now I just expect every wheat to taste like banana's and cloves. when they don't i'm pleasantly surprised

Back