Trying to create a Heath Bar Toffee Porter. Help with recipe inside please :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
A friend of mine would like to create a Toffee Porter that taste like a Heath Bar. In speaking with him, it seems he wants something that has definite toffee, and not just the presence of toffee flavor. I have been trying to create a recipe using a porter base that I found on here, with the additions of the ideas on adding a toffee flavor to the beer. Here is what I have come up with so far. Ignore the hops/IBU's as they will most likely be changed later.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.95 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Temp 156

16 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.9 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.4 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 6 3.6 %
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 1.8 %
4 whole Heath Bars - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 22.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 0.6 IBUs

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 22.6 IBUs
Est Color: 31.1 SRM

I have read to take a gallon or two of the first runnings and boil that down to 1-2 pints to create a syrup that will help to impart a toffee flavor. I am also hoping that the candi sugar will impart more toffee flavor and the heath bars are thrown in for effect, knowing that the butter and chocolate will most likely kill any head retention and make a mess :)

Is there anything that I should adjust to give even more toffee flavor?

I also need a suggestion for a yeast that may give off Diacytl to give some butter flavor and that also won't burn this down too low. I would like it to end around 1.018-1.020. Other posts recommend Wyeast wy1968 though I do not know if my LHBS has it.

Should I change to Maris Otter (Which i have on hand)? I feel that it may not help with the overall outcome of the beer which I why I chose 2 row.

Other recommendations have been toward turbinado sugar, UK crystal 40, Carastan, and Thomas Fawcett Amber, but the only one I think I will be able to get is turbinado sugar.

THanks for the help!

I have also decided to pick up some toffee extract to add at bottling time in case I do not get the effect I was looking for, but I really do hate the taste of some extracts!! Does anyone have one they have used before with good results?

Latest posts

Back