trying something new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I was thinking about straining my ginger ale through cheese cloth to filter out ginger and sediment when it dawned on me why not put my ginger in a cheese cloth packet
I took it one step further and put my yeast into a cheese cloth packet as well
I'm not sure how to get it out of the bottle yet I'm thinking I'll leave it in till the bottle is done
its' not carbing as fast as usual but the little packet is letting off bubbles
I used (per 2 liter bottle) 3/4 cup of water that I boiled ginger in, 3 tea spoons of lemon juice, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 table spoon of chopped ginger in a cheese cloth packet, 1/8 tea spoon yeast in a cheese cloth packet then I topped it up with water I will post when it's done.
the only thing I wonder about is the cheese cloth being in there but I can't see why it would hurt anything (if anyone knows different please post)

it's been about 15 hours and it is carbing up nice I'm thinking I didn't use enough yeast the recipe calls for 1/4 tsp I tried about 1/8 or it will take a little longer

happy new year
bottle is firming up but not ready yet
the packet is still bubbling
I'm starting to think I should have went with 1/4 tsp instead of 1/8 tsp (next time)

the bottle is finally rock hard, in to the fridge it went
I was shaking the bottle everyday, will that help anything or was I just amusing myself.
I thought it may help carbonate the water as shaking water in a bottle helps oxygenate the water
can anyone confirm this (or not)

well I cracked a bottle and the carb was great not to many floaties the flavour was good but not enough ginger and to much sugar
I was wondering if because I used less yeast it didn't consume as much sugar making it sweeter so I'll go back to the 1 cup

Latest posts

Back