Trunk line hole in refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finally got all the parts for my kegerator!

I am going to essentially be doing what runningweird did with his setup in this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long-draw-salt-water-chilled-beer-tower-271578/

Except mine will only be two taps instead of six. I just got the refrigerator today and will be moving it into the "keg room" in the basement this weekend to start the build process. The trunk line will run out of the side of the fridge straight up to the counter-top upstairs (about 10ft of line outside the fridge).

My question is regarding cutting the hole in the refrigerator. I searched and came up with plenty of posts about drilling to run a gas line into the fridge but not so much when it comes to drilling a huge 2" hole in the side.

The fridge is a 3 year old GE HotPoint 18.2 cu.ft. I found this diagram of it on sears website.

H0590677-00003.png

Does the fact that the parts seem to be up in the freezer and down under the fridge mean that I should be safe to drill this hole in the side? or are there lines that run through the entire fridge that just aren't shown? I really don't know much of anything about appliances.

Your safe...no coils in sides. But if you want to prove it to yourself, plug it in and brush the sides with a cornstarch paste.....if you see dry lines, then you have lines in there....but I doubt you do. Refrigerators are cabinets with AC units on the back.

I'll probably do that just for comfort reasons.

Also, I just realized there is a post about a fridge just like mine a few posts down in DIY in regards to drilling holes in the side! Oops lol, not sure how I missed that before posting, considering I searched the forum first. I must be getting senile at my old age of 25.

The lines between the condenser (under the floor) and the evaporator (in the back of the freezer section) are most likely running up the back right corner (viewed from the front). If you keep away from that area you should be safe to drill away...

Cheers!

I figure I'll update this so that if anyone else is searching and winds up here the thread will be resolved.

I took a 2" hole saw to the side of the fridge towards the front and had zero issues with hitting any refrigerant lines. I did a 1" hole just below it for the air lines as well and had no issues.

Here is a pic of where I drilled through.
IMAG0392_zps71c766ef.jpg

Hope this can help someone in the future!

Back