trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i brewed a centenial blond today ,Beer Munchers REcipe everything went well . Hit my numbers 1.044 OG . a littel high but fine with me . i have a lot of trub ,is their any way i can prevent from getting so much? Thanks in advance,Cheers

The trub is a normal thing and if you have a lot it seems that you had a successful brew day. Good hot and cold break will contribute to the trub you see. If your question is more along the line of preventing this from being in your fermenter; it depends on your setup really.

At a minimum you could siphon off the top of the trub. If you have a ball valve on the kettle, a side pickup tube coupled with a good whirlpool and ~20 minute rest can help you drain off wort while leaving most trub behind.

I put my (cleaned, sanitized) bag in the fermenter before pouring in the wort. It strains out most of the trub, letting a lot of the wort through. Minimal trub losses.

Maybe take another look - I find that trub compacts down to nearly nothing pretty quickly. 2 inches of trub on brewday suddenly turns into 1/2 inch of trub a day or two after brewday.

Maybe take another look - I find that trub compacts down to nearly nothing pretty quickly. 2 inches of trub on brewday suddenly turns into 1/2 inch of trub a day or two after brewday.

Thanks that's what I found out after brewing. It turned out awesome ! That air lock smells great! Cheers.

How odd , I brewed today and used centennials, I had about 24 litres after chilling, I syphon off, lowering the syphon as I go down, the trub had whirl pooled nicely but I still had five litres of it, so thick I just had to flush it away, that's a huge loss, I had not used a hop bag, good job! it would have burst. But the hop utilisation must be terrific ,

after boil, I toss all my wort into the ale pale lined with a lowes paint strainer...then pull strainer, twist, squeeze repete, this is a bit of work but in the end I dont lose much due to trub toss....I figgure I work too hard to toss beer away...

The trub disappears so I'm not going to worry about it. I will rack straight off the trub in bottling bucket . But I will cold crash for a little bit , before bottling to help compact yeast and trub.

From the very beginning of me brewing AG in the form of BIAB, I have chilled and siphoned everything into the fermenter. All that hot and cold bread (and i get a huge cold break due to a counterflow chiller) settles out. Then the yeast start and it looks like a flippin snow globe on speed! :rockin: Then the yeast starts to settle down and all that packs down on the bottom of the fermenter.

Bottom line, I've never found the need to have to leave the trub in the bottom of the kettle. I feel that the trub is still pretty loose at the time of chilling, and there is lots of good wort in there. So I try to get everything!

My last two batches with wilserbrewers bags have been fairly clean when I go to the fermentor, no issues with trub or anything (I made a hop spider which has helped keep a significant amount of hop material out of the brew). I also brewed a batch of the BM Blonde! Made a few changes but hit the 1.044 mark as well. That is bubbling away, still has a solid layer of Krausen on it after 8 days in the fermentor. Going to keep an eye on it, but smells yummy!

My last two batches with wilserbrewers bags have been fairly clean when I go to the fermentor, no issues with trub or anything (I made a hop spider which has helped keep a significant amount of hop material out of the brew). I also brewed a batch of the BM Blonde! Made a few changes but hit the 1.044 mark as well. That is bubbling away, still has a solid layer of Krausen on it after 8 days in the fermentor. Going to keep an eye on it, but smells yummy!

I usually dump most of the trub in the fermentor but have found that using a hop bag during the boil (wilserbrewer bag also) has helped make my beer clearer and reduce the amount of trub noticeably (especially with hoppy beers). And results in a little more beer at bottling.

Back