Trouble with pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
I just finished my first BIAB brew. It was a hef, and appeared to go well. I have one issue though.

I brewed outside in 85 degree weather. I used my wort chiller for the first time.

I stalled at about 115 degrees. I just could not get it any lower without waiting a long time.

So I transfered into my carboy, and threw it into my fermentation fridge to cool down.

Once I get to 64, I planned on pitching. It seems like it is going to take quite some time though. My controller has read 95 for quite a while now.

Did I do the right thing?

No worries as long as you are sanitary! I do this sometimes during the summer as well when my ground water is too warm...cheers!

I was sanitary, although I found I needed to sanitize very little with my new setup.

Everything kettle wise sanitized from heat. I dunked the chiller with 10 minutes on the boil. Basically the only thing I needed to sanitize was the carboy and airlock.

What you did is how I brew every batch.That last 30/40 deg takes forever.Leave it overnight in ferm chamber set to pitch temp and check temps in the morning.If at pitching temp aerate and pitch and your on your way..no worries

Latest posts

Back