Trouble with maintaining bottling temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdole

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. I cant tell you how valuable this forum has been to me and how much I've learned, so cheers and a big Thank you!!

Anyway, to the point, I'm well aware of the 3 weeks at 70 mantra. However, I'm living in Boston now, in December, in a drafty old place and with the cost of oil I dont want to have my heat blasting for the next month or so, especially during the day when Im not there. So I'm struggling to keep my bottles warm. Right now I have them tucked away in my closet wrapped in blankets but the thermometer is reading 63-65.

What kind of tricks do/(would) you guys employ to warm things up a bit? Keep in mind its a 500 sqft place so storage is at a (literal) premium, (IE-no space for a water bath).

Any/all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Light bulb in a closed closet. Seed germination electric mats. Next to refridge under blanket. Just some ideas for ya. I think they will carb, but it may take a week or so longer. I know my kitchen is 68F max in the morning (65 during the day) and I get decent carbonation.

I was going to suggest lightbulb in the closet. A 60 watter (regular incandescent) should warm it up a good amount.

If the closet is big, try walling off a corner with cardboard, throw the lamp and beer in there. I've gotten up to 80 degrees using a 40W bulb with this method with just some towels for insulation, it worked great for bottle conditioning in my unheated closet with 3 outside walls, when the apartment was only heated to 60 degrees.

You guys are rock stars, thank you! I built a little cardboard fort, threw a 60w bulb and hooked it up to a johnson, and in a matter of hours I had it from 63 up to 68! We're in business! Thanks again guys!

Hah, indeed sir...60w work lamp. Dont want it getting to hot while im not there :p

Latest posts

Back