Trouble with cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyndamin

Reaction score
I’m a novice cider brewer who has done a few brews. I decided to try something new and make a cyser. About a week into the process I had cyser make it’s way into the airlock as well as brown chunks that started to form. As soon as I noticed this I cleaned and sanitized airlock and replaced it. Could anyone identify what happened, what the brown chunks are and how to prevent this from happening in the future.

I’m a novice cider brewer who has done a few brews. I decided to try something new and make a cyser. About a week into the process I had cyser make it’s way into the airlock as well as brown chunks that started to form. As soon as I noticed this I cleaned and sanitized airlock and replaced it. Could anyone identify what happened, what the brown chunks are and how to prevent this from happening in the future.

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

First off welcome...

The brown chunks are part of the foam or krausen. Looks to me like you had an active ferment and not enough space for the krausen. You can fix that by lowering your temperature some, leaving more head space or attaching a blow off tube. Any or all should work.

And the most active phase of the fermentation should be behind so it probably won't happen again till now.
Just clean up cap adnd airlock and put it back.

Back