Trouble with bottle Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geralds1

Reaction score
Hey,
I have made three different batches of the same brand of Irish Stout, and twice it came out where some bottles are flat and some are over carbonated. The first time it happened I figured I hadn't properly mixed the priming sugar, but the last batch I made sure it was properly mixed and still have this issue. No other style of beer I have brewed, cream ales, IPA's, Lagers, has given me issues and I must have brewed a dozen kits in the last year. Any idea's why the Stout is giving me trouble?

Thanks

Sometimes the yeast is weak by the end of fermentation and not enough viable cells left to bottle-carb. But that's typically an issue with very strong beers that have bulk-aged a long time. But since Irish stouts generally are not very high gravity, I'm thinking maybe getting bad or outdated yeast with those stout kits?

Thanks, will buy separate yeast next couple of times and see if that fixes the problem. Appreciate it

Another option is using the yeast that comes with it to ferment, as you usually do. I'm assuming your fermentations have been OK? Then re-pitch a packet of some dry yeast, like Nottingham or CBC-1 right before bottling. Add the yeast when you add the priming sugar and stir it in gently. A little extra insurance for bottle conditioning.

It ferments aggressively. I get blowback from the airlock to the point its dripping all over the lid, for about 12 hours, then it settles and by the time 24 hours pass its stops. I usually let it sit for about three more days, but it seems to be done entirely by 36 hours.

When I bottle Stout, I add my priming sugar = 2, Two P.S.I. See natural carbonation-
https://learn.kegerator.com/how-to-carbonate-your-beer/

Then when I add the recommended amount of priming sugar ( I like brown sugar) I mix and let stand for 30 minutes, then give it a bit of a swirl and let stand another 10. Proceed to filling/racking.

I have had some dead bottles, I blame the cap or the bottler (My GF "thats what they are there for. LOL) Anyhow when you bottle, bottle lay it down on it's side while you bottle another 6 and check and make sure you got a tight seal.

IF you got a good ferment and attenuation you have GOOD yeast.

Back