Trouble picking kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlb307

Reaction score
I'm planning on finally making the jump to kegging :ban:

I'm more of a small batch brewer, so I'm thinking of going with a 2-1/2 gallon keg set-up since that's what works best for me at this point.

So, I'm having a hard time picking which kegs to go with, and was wondering if anyone had any info. They are the same price (for now), with the only real tie-breaker being the cost of shipping.

These are the two I narrowed it down to:

These are made from AEB, and I know some of the pros and cons with the posts and poppets http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/Ball-Lock-New-2-Half-Gallon-Keg/

I'm not sure who makes these, I think I heard they are Chinese. Stackable with the fittings is pretty damn cool, but not necessarily a necessity.
http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-W-Metal-Handles_p_2823.html

Anybody know anything about either ones that can help me make a decision?

I have all AEB 3 gal kegs (8) & I've been very pleased w/ the quality. I've purchased from Beverage Elements & Keg Connection depending on sale pricing, etc.
haven't heard anything good about the Chinese made kegs- sharp edges, poor, non-sanitary welds, etc.
I think it's the perfect example of you get what you pay for!

I'll second the quality of any of the AEB kegs... I have some 3 gallon and 5 gallon and the build quality is superb. They are definitely worth the extra dollars.

I know you said you typically do small batches, but you may want to consider getting a 'normal' 5G keg. 2.5 Gallon kegs are often times as, or more, expensive then a brand new 5G keg. You may be wasting CO2 most of the time, but it also allows you to brew for larger events.

I know you said you typically do small batches, but you may want to consider getting a 'normal' 5G keg. 2.5 Gallon kegs are often times as, or more, expensive then a brand new 5G keg. You may be wasting CO2 most of the time, but it also allows you to brew for larger events.

+1 for this. Definitely doesn't hurt to get 5 gallon kegs and only fill them 1/2 way. This will give you flexibility down the line. That being said, you can fit the smaller kegs more easily into smaller fridges.

+1 for this. Definitely doesn't hurt to get 5 gallon kegs and only fill them 1/2 way. This will give you flexibility down the line. That being said, you can fit the smaller kegs more easily into smaller fridges.

That's one of the reasons I've been going back and forth. I'm the only beer drinker in the house, and it takes me a while to go through a 5-gallon batch. I was looking at the 2-1/2 gallon jobs for better flexibility and shorter keg turnover time.
My kegerator to be is a 1950 Westinghouse, which can either hold 10 gallons of two different types of beer, or 10 gallons of four types if I go with the smaller ones.
That and SWMBO isn't too keen on the idea of a keezer...

Back