Trouble in the lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife1

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers
After learning a hard lesson about sulfites and what can happpen if you forget to use them.I am sure this is a real new bee question am I suppose to sulsite my mead.So far I have 2 batches of Cyser brewing and a hard ice tea and 3 different hard ciders:confused:

Hello fellow brewers
After learning a hard lesson about sulfites and what can happpen if you forget to use them.I am sure this is a real new bee question am I suppose to sulsite my mead.So far I have 2 batches of Cyser brewing and a hard ice tea and 3 different hard ciders:confused:
Sulphites are anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, etc.

You'd sulphite to protect the brews once they're finished. If you wanted to back sweeten, then you'd usually use sulphite and sorbate once they're done fermenting, but if you use those to stabilise the brews you're limited to forced carbonation if you want bubbles too.

So you'd sometimes need to know about which non-fermentable sweetener you prefer too.....

THANX Fatbloke
I think I understand what you are saying .Guess I best get crackn and really get reading Ken Schrams book.

FWIW...I never use sulfites unless I'm backsweetening (and then of course with sorbate as previously mentioned). I have never had any of my non-sulfited meads become infected or had any particular problem with oxidation...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back