American IPA Tropical Fruit Smoothie IPA with WLP 644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfish

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 644
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very juicy IPA
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.53 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.03 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash)
0.75 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - 74.9 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) - 15.0 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) - 3.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L - 3.7 %
0.35 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) - 2.6 %

1.30 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 41.8 IBUs

0.50 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 1.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 1.7 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 2.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 0.7 IBUs

1.35 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop
1.35 oz Citra [12.00 %] - - Dry Hop
0.45 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) - Dry Hop
0.45 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop

1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Troi Yeast

Here is a recipe that I've been working on for a while. My taste in IPAs has changed a lot over the years and this is one that suits my current taste for relatively low bitterness, ultra fruity alcoholic enjoyment. My IPA drinking friends and even my wife who doesn't like IPAs all really like this one. I started long ago with the grain bill for a 2 Hearted Ale clone, and tweaked the yeast and hops from there. I've found that WLP 644 is THE yeast to use for this beer. It puts off tons of tropical fruit flavors that compliment the hops very well. This beer is pretty hazy at first, but I have found that this haze is beneficial for the in your face tropical flavors. After a few weeks when the beer has settled, it tastes more like a traditional clear and crisp IPA, but after I swirl the keg a little bit, the tropical flavors come back. I also tend to turn this beer around really fast because I get impatient when the keg runs out! I grow up a healthy starter of 644 over 2 days, crash it in the fridge for 2 days then brew on a Friday night. I oxygenate the wort well, and ferment this beer at 70F. On Monday morning, I will add the dry hops then on Thursday morning I set the temp to 32F and start crashing. Then on Friday night I force carb this beer at 50psi for 7 mins (rocking the keg) and its ready to drink in 1 week grain to glass!!

Another observation/tweak I have made with this beer is that when I mash it around 152-155F, the abv is the 6% range. Im not sure why its lower than beersmith would think, but it could be the 644 (I have let it ferment out for 2+ weeks to make sure it finishes, and have even pitched US-05, but the gravity never drops and it never tastes sweet). One cool thing is if I mash at 160+, I can drop the ABV by ~1.5% and it comes out at 4.5% and it makes a killer session IPA that tastes nearly identical to the full strength version. This is actually how I have been making this recipe lately because I love that I can drink so much of it at such a low ABV!

IPA.jpg

Nice recipe. Sounds delicious. I too have taken to lowering the bitterness and boosting the hop flavor and aroma. I do this by shifting the hop schedule to late addition. Only an oz at boil for 10 gal. But several ounces at 15, 10, 5, flameout and dry hopping at 2 oz per carboy. Mosaic is a great hop for the fruit bomb. And last batch used London Ale yeast. Ill give 644 a try thanks

Interesting recipe for sure. Nice to see a fellow Oregonian doing these. I would have never thought of using a Brett yeast strain in these juicy IPA's as I would have thought a bit too much funk would come from it.

Also, why the Acid Malt in addition to the CaCl addition? What is your mash PH? Have you tried using White Wheat and/or Flaked or Rolled Oats in place of the Vienna?

Interesting recipe for sure. Nice to see a fellow Oregonian doing these. I would have never thought of using a Brett yeast strain in these juicy IPA's as I would have thought a bit too much funk would come from it.

Also, why the Acid Malt in addition to the CaCl addition? What is your mash PH? Have you tried using White Wheat and/or Flaked or Rolled Oats in place of the Vienna?

Actually, a few years ago, DNA sequencing revealed that wlp 644 is not brett, but in fact just a weird strain of sacch. Ive been using this strain, with typical sanitation technique, just like any other strain of yeast since then.

The water where I live is only slightly harder than RO water, so I use CaCl in all my beers and 2-3% acid malt in all of them too. PH is typically around 5.2 with this much acid malt.

My post was getting long already so I didnt mention it, but I have not tried wheat or oats yet but its on my list of things to do! Perhaps the next time I brew this one I will throw some in. Im curious, why would you get rid of the vienna in place of oats/wheat? To keep the OG or for other balance reasons?

Ive also been thinking about dropping the magnum just a bit to reduce the bitterness even more. When this beer is fresh its more like carbonated fruit juice than beer, then starts to turn more IPA like after a few weeks and thats when the bitterness starts to come through, and when I start giving some away so I can make more.

Actually, a few years ago, DNA sequencing revealed that wlp 644 is not brett, but in fact just a weird strain of sacch.

I saw that, was curious when I saw Brett Brux and looked up your yeast, as the Brett Brux Ive used in past was very barn yardy, horse blanket. I used it last in a cherry lambic with pedio and lacto. Its a funky beast for sure.

I like how IPA's are so fruity when they are brand new. I have kegged some at 12-14 days and they are great for a couple weeks, then less great. Interesting for sure, whatever is happening there.

Nice recipe. Very similar to one I just made, split the wort and fermented half with Saccharomyces trois vrai and the other half with a Brettanomyces blend. I would definitely recommend using flaked wheat/oats/rye to offset the fact that this strain will chew through cardboard. I am positive that WLP644 is not Brettanomyces just from how quickly it ferments -- the krausen descended on my beer before the Brettanomyces batch even took off.

Here's what I made, if you're curious:
74% Pale Ale malt
20% Spelt malt
4% Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
2% Acid malt
25 IBU CTZ @ 60
5 IBU CTZ @ 10
2 Citra, 1 Mosaic, 1 Galaxy @ 30 min whirlpool
2 Citra, 1 Mosaic, 1 Galaxy @ 4 day dry hop
Imperial Organic Yeast #A20 (Citrus)
Omega Yeast Labs OYL-218 (All the Bretts)

Good to hear. Up here just outside of Portland my water is pretty similar as well. I know Bend has damn near perfect water. I've been adding a tsp of CaCl as well as one of gypsum to my mash as well. I also get right about 5.2-3 without the acid malt.

Here is a recipe I've done a couple of times now that has turned out great. Note the poor efficiency however. I'll improve upon that soon enough. Tastes and looks like pineapple juice. Keg doesn't clear up at all...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/346774/sweet-16-ipa

OP (or anyone else) - have you tried your recipe with Wyeast 1318?

I have been looking for some first hand comparisons of 1318 vs wlp644 in a NEIPA. I have found lots of individual accounts of one or the other, and some wlp644 vs Conan, but no comparisons of 1318 vs wlp644 in a NEIPA.

I dont currenly have the means to split ferment a batch otherwise I would attempt it.

OP (or anyone else) - have you tried your recipe with Wyeast 1318?

I have been looking for some first hand comparisons of 1318 vs wlp644 in a NEIPA. I have found lots of individual accounts of one or the other, and some wlp644 vs Conan, but no comparisons of 1318 vs wlp644 in a NEIPA.

I dont currenly have the means to split ferment a batch otherwise I would attempt it.

I've used Conan, Wyeast 1318, and WLP644 in these NE IPA style of beers.

WLP644 is completely unique unto itself. It throws off some mango and heavy pineapple flavors you wont find in the other yeasts, and works well at higher temperatures. It's the yeast I use most consistently for this style.

I'm currently trying out Omega HotHead Ale OYL-057. I'm expecting citrus and berry-like additions.

My under standing of brett is its only funky when interacting with phenols. If you dont have sacc in there to make them u wont get funk.

This sounds amazing and I really want to try it but now that it's getting cold out, and without fermentation chamber, I probably can't ferment this in my house at 70 without some kind of wrap/heater.. how will this yeast perform in a colder environment, or does it need those warmer temperatures to get funky/fruity?

My basement is sitting at a cooler 62-64 these days

This sounds amazing and I really want to try it but now that it's getting cold out, and without fermentation chamber, I probably can't ferment this in my house at 70 without some kind of wrap/heater.. how will this yeast perform in a colder environment, or does it need those warmer temperatures to get funky/fruity?

My basement is sitting at a cooler 62-64 these days

If your ambient temps are 62-64, your actual fermentation temps will be 5+ higher. I haven't had any issues using this yeast in the high 60s. It's always plenty fruity.

If your ambient temps are 62-64, your actual fermentation temps will be 5+ higher. I haven't had any issues using this yeast in the high 60s. It's always plenty fruity.

Well then! That sounds awesome and now I just have to figure out a way to get this brew in my pipeline

Back