Troeg's Mad Elf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont plan on it, I just plan on adding the sugar in the syrup and subtracting that from my sugar addition.

Just got all the ingredients using wlp530 brewing Sunday if all goes right $52 at the brew store not as bad as I was expecting and 10 was to pbw so 42 for hops grain and yeast

Brew day just got my water and honey will have to get my cherries at the local giant my small store only had sour cherries in the can no sweet.

Just wrapped up and hit all my numbers on the dot OG of 1.101 can't wait to see how it turns out

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414959665.772154.jpg

This the color we are going for this was pre boil I snag a pic of my sample once it cools down,

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414959738.150370.jpg

I gained efficiency but think that's because of me moving to a Manifold rather then the braided hose, I hit all numbers on the dot on this brew some how lol, well on beersmiths numbers lol

I only use a manifold too. I must not have sparged well. The grain bed was so huge. I did 12.5 gallons, and I think my mixing must be the culprit. Not often do I do 60# grain bills. I need to make a mash paddle, ditch the spoon. Never had this beer, hope mine is as good as everyone's.

Well mine was only 6gal batch so no where close to 60# grain bill lol mine was pretty easy think around 20#, I bottom feed my mash too with gravity for no dough balls and wow I will never do it another way again amazing how nice it mashed for like I said I might of gotten lucky too being my first time with manifold hit all my heating numbers and some how all Gravity numbers came out on the dot to. I'm pretty excited from this brew day that's for sure

Not sure why my pics arnt working is this the color we're going for

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414964731.833406.jpg

Picture with alittle light this was before boil tho so alittle different
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414964774.860655.jpg

And since I brewed the clone figured I would end the night with a 2yr old bottle of the real thing

Judging from the bottom of the glass when the base beer color starts coming thru I think my color might be close once it ferments out and clears

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414971385.732786.jpg

Well mine was only 6gal batch so no where close to 60# grain bill lol mine was pretty easy think around 20#, I bottom feed my mash too with gravity for no dough balls and wow I will never do it another way again amazing how nice it mashed for like I said I might of gotten lucky too being my first time with manifold hit all my heating numbers and some how all Gravity numbers came out on the dot to. I'm pretty excited from this brew day that's for sure

So you go water into the grain filled MT? I've always dumped the grain into the water filled MT, and stir. Interesting

Yea saw a vid on YouTube and figured I would give it a try and it worked like a champ just have to watch your volume in your HLT to hit your sparge water

Thanks, easy enough to do. Looks like is mixes better than putting my mash into the water. Have to try it. I wish I could buy Mad Elf here. May have to road trip it to Cincinnati. :eek:

Dam that's crazy I thought it made it out that way. Maybe we can make a trade on some beers what all can you get out your way

Umm so yea you guys wernt lien about a violent ferment, wlp530 is going nuts in this, did a two vial starter with neutrient and energizer and O2 the wort lets just say the wife got startled while watching her show when she started to hear it gargling non stop lol

Read the ingredients and see if they put sugar in it. Also see how strong the juice tastes. If it has a ton of flavor I'd use it.

I normally just dumped in the whole can. After mashing up the cherries though. Came out great! :)

The can says water, it's the Oregon canned cherries, only problem I'm having is finding the sweet Oregon canned cherries got the tart ones now on the hunt for the sweet, and thanks think I'll see what it's like and go from there Can't wait think I got 2 days till transfer onto cherries depending on gravity reading. Thanks for the quick responses guys that's why I love this place

What you do de gas a bottle for the reading? Haven't had this years offering yet how is it

yea it was degassed, and it was a 2013 bottle, I cant get this stuff where I live so I have no idea haha. My clone is pretty close though, v2 should be pretty much on target I believe.

Finally found the sweet cherries so transfered onto the cherries a few minuets ago, wlp530 did some work she's already sitting at 1.028 from OG of 1.101. Now how do I figure in the cherries sugars with what was left and my FG for final abv? Can't wait the sample tasted dead on Mad elf missing cherry hints and the ruby red color

Another question I'm guessing a blow off isn't needed for the secondary I know I read about ferment ramping up again but wasn't sure if it was like when it started and had 3-4 days of straight blow off action

By the way, you racked to secondary very early. You brewed this a week ago. Your FG is way high, as mine always comes out at 1014. You either racked before it was done, or had a stalled fermentation from mashing high or some other reason. That's one reason why I don't secondary typically unless there's a damn good reason. And the cherries will add nominal alcohol so I would worry about that.

Yea I was reading up on some stuff on mad elf and John from tröegs said they add cheeries after 3/4 of fermentation is done so was sorta playing around with that to be like how they do it. We will see what happens I know I was Shocked with my gravity reading that's for
Sure wasn't expecting it to be that low already, I did mash slightly high nothing crazy but alil more then I usually do and I aerated the wort before pitching and this was my first time actually doing that too

So I have been reading through this thread as this sounds like an awesome brew to do and then let age for awhile. (Never had this BTW)... How long are you leaving the brew on the cherries? I was thinking 2weeks primary 2weeks on the cherries in secondary and then bottle and let it age.

Any advice on this?

Yea I was reading up on some stuff on mad elf and John from tröegs said they add cheeries after 3/4 of fermentation is done so was sorta playing around with that to be like how they do it. We will see what happens I know I was Shocked with my gravity reading that's for
Sure wasn't expecting it to be that low already, I did mash slightly high nothing crazy but alil more then I usually do and I aerated the wort before pitching and this was my first time actually doing that too

Yeah I hear ya. I added 2lbs of honey mixed with 32oz organic cherry juice about 2/3 of the way through. The difference is doing it in primary. If you rack off the yeast before it is done then you risk fermentation stalling on you. It also can't clean up off flavors.

So I have been reading through this thread as this sounds like an awesome brew to do and then let age for awhile. (Never had this BTW)... How long are you leaving the brew on the cherries? I was thinking 2weeks primary 2weeks on the cherries in secondary and then bottle and let it age.

Any advice on this?

Two weeks is more than enough. I would probably do 1.

Yeah I hear ya. I added 2lbs of honey mixed with 32oz organic cherry juice about 2/3 of the way through. The difference is doing it in primary. If you rack off the yeast before it is done then you risk fermentation stalling on you. It also can't clean up off flavors.

Ya I was worried about that but she's already fermenting away again started actually lastnight just a lil after transfer, the aroma coming out the air lock is full mad elf getting excited

one week on cherries and 4 points off FG one more week to sit and clear. Made a side by side comparison of the real thing to the clone I think I might be close when it clears and I'm going to say the flavor is pretty dam spot on holly ****. Wow now I'm pretty excited for this to be bottled lol

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416260190.431973.jpg

I think the original might be a bit darker but that's a poor photo to judge once mines bottled and carbed I'll get another original and do an actuall side by side

Back