Tripel: secondary necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pangaeamaposa

Reaction score
Hello, brewerfolk. This is my first post. I'm doing an AG tripel. Primary just about completed today, it went from 1.100 to 1.010 in less than a week. The recipe instructions from BYO say to bottle after primary fermentation is complete, 7-10 days and then bottle condition at 50 F for 2 months. Does this sound right or should it spend some time in a secondary? Pros? Cons?

On my last tripel that is what I did and it came out great. I had pitched it on a yeast cake from a witbier I had made, and it dropped to FG in about 3 days. I let it sit a few more days, then bottled exactly one week after pitching.

I didn't bottle condition at 50F though. More like 60's.

I would let it bulk condition for longer than 7-10 days. At a minimum you need to make sure fermentation is complete.

Although you can bottle condition at 50, eventually you will need to bring it up to 70-75F to carbonate and finish conditioning.

I'd leave it a month in the primary and then bottle. Then I'd keep the bottles around 70F for 2 weeks or so, then take to a cooler place (your suggestion of 50F sounds spot on).

I did six weeks in primary, cold crash for a week, bottle. Aged for two months and drank.

Back