When to add honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Brewing a high abv blonde and swapped out the candi sugar for blossom honey. Should I add the honey in the boil or in the primary fermenter and any reasons why ?

Add to your secondary or once primary as ended. Adding the honey in the boil with boil off all the aroma and flavor and adding it to primary will scrub all of the aroma and flavor out with the co2. Doing this will leave you with nothing more than a sugar boast and a slightly dryer beer. Warm it up to over 100F so it will pour better and add it straight to secondary or after primary.

It can be done either way and I think it kind of depends what you want in the final product. Adding it to the boil will give your yeast some simple sugar to get started on and may cause them to poop out a little sooner leaving you with a less attenuated beer. Adding it to the primary after fermentation has gotten going a few days will dry it out a little more. My preference would be to add it to the fermenter but it is up to you.

CBMbrewer said:
Add to your secondary or once primary as ended.

Would this be the same for a stout? I've made a recipe for a chocolate honey stout, and I want to utilise the honey flavours/aromas but also want the alcohol the sugars in the honey will produce. Can I have my cake and eat it to?

durbo said:
Would this be the same for a stout? I've made a recipe for a chocolate honey stout, and I want to utilise the honey flavours/aromas but also want the alcohol the sugars in the honey will produce. Can I have my cake and eat it to?

The short answer as far as I am concerned is no. Honey ferments out and dries a recipe out. You won't taste it much unless you use honey malt. Especially in a stout you won't taste it.

Would you be able to get the flavor of honey if used for priming?

It came with candi sugar the girlfriend wanted honey for her first brew on her own , but does table sugar work the same what about
Brown sugar ?

clear candi sugar is just sucrose. Use whatever source of sucrose you want.

You might get a little additional flavor from honey or brown sugar, but not much. I wouldn't add brown sugar to a blond ale. Most brown sugar is white sugar with molasses added after production.

Back