Tripel: 1.003 FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
Belgian Tripel... My first. 1.080 OG, 1.003 FG, 31 IBU. Fermented cool with the Ardennes strain. A half-pint sample at bottling tasted strong, but with zero fusels. The Belgian character was fairly subtle.

I would consider this a success, except for the low FG. Would that bother you? Have any of you made a Tripel that finished that low?

For what it's worth, BJCP guidelines describe what I brewed as a Golden Strong Ale, but my beer is even below THAT style's FG.

I have had some Belgians go down to the 1.004-1.006 range that I was initially concerned about like you were. Once they were carbed up though they ended up being just fine. I actually think you will find it makes it easier drinking as it really lightens the body up nicely making, as the Belgians call it, a very digestable beer.

My extract tripel went to 1.012 (1.072 OG). My all grain tripel went to 1.007 (1.078 OG). Both used WY3787, and both were great fairly dry.

I have gotten very high attenuation on most of my recent beers... In fact, of the last five, four have finished at 1.003. A Berliner Weisse, two Saisons, and now this Tripel. All more or less appropriate. Only the fifth beer, a Southern English Brown Ale, finished higher, at 1.011, but that was also lower than I wanted.

I don't taste or observe infection in these beers, but the low FG has me thinking. It seems that on my system, to produce a "highly fermentable" wort, I don't need to mash below 152.

My next couple of beers (an IPA and Deschutes Obsidian Stout clone) will be experiments to see if I can have something land in the area of 1.012 - 1.018.

I wouldn't change anything in those recent brews of yours. For some styles, I like to add 1-3 oz of maltodextrine powder to the priming sugar boil. Adds a tad more body for beers that finish lower than desired.

Check that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly. Put it in some ~60F water and see if it reads close to 1.000. I've had this problem before where all my batches had an FG too high. Turns out my hydrometer was reading 1.004 with just water.

slarkin712 said:
Check that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly. Put it in some ~60F water and see if it reads close to 1.000. I've had this problem before where all my batches had an FG too high. Turns out my hydrometer was reading 1.004 with just water.

Mine, too. I calibrated it and now subtract .004 from all readings.

Back