Trillium Fort Point Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBeerDrinker

Reaction score
gonna give this a go this weekend...

6 gallon batch:

10lb 2-Row
1.5lb White Wheat
12.0oz - Carapils
4.0oz Cara 20L

yeast: WLP007

.25oz Columbus @ boil
.75oz Columbus @ 10min
2.0oz Columbus - whirlpool

4.0oz Citra - dry hop
2.0oz Columbus - dry hop

mash target -150

... i've been researching NE IPA's ... I'm wanting to dry hop before fermentation is 100% complete... I usually wait 7 days before transferring to a secondary... Is dry-hopping 4oz of Cirta on day 5 too early? I want to hit the last 2oz of Columbus a few days before I bottle.

any thoughts?

concerns?

thanks!

I add my first of two dry hops at high krausen for NEIPAs. That's usually around day 3. But it depends. Just watch the krausen and you'll know.

Also, if it were me, I wouldn't dry hop with that columbus. If you've got 4 oz of Citra to dry hop with, do 2 oz. on day 3 (or whenever high krausen is) then the other 2 oz at the end of fermentation. You want the dry hops early for the whole biotransformation stuff.

Finally, take this with a grain of salt because I've never used WLP007, but you might not get the characteristics you want with that. I've never seen it used in an NEIPA. But hell, 008 is one of my favorites in NEIPAs and very few people use 008 for NEIPAs.

With 007, Day 5 is way too late. 007 is a quick fermenting yeast, at least in my experience. When I did a Trillium-ish NEIPA using 007, it was at final gravity when I checked it on Day 5, probably even Day 4. I'd dry hop no later than Day 3.

Also, IMO not enough hops. If it were me, I'd double the Citra in the dry hop.

I recently did a Julius clone and used WLP002 because my LHBS was out of 007 and I added my biotransfermation charge at day 2...

I'm good with adding more hops.... I was hoping to get that feedback here! Fort Point isn't incredibly hoppy.... but it's citrus as hell!

As for the yeast, I had read somewhere that's what Trillium uses. I'll keep poking around.

I'm good with adding more hops.... I was hoping to get that feedback here! Fort Point isn't incredibly hoppy.... but it's citrus as hell!

As for the yeast, I had read somewhere that's what Trillium uses. I'll keep poking around.

I didn't add more hops...I just split my total dry hops into 2 charges...I added half at day 2 for biotrans...and I added the rest 3 days before cold crash and package.

julius.jpg

Fort Point has a dank element, but that seems like a boatload of Columbus to me.

I've been drinking the double dry hopped Fort Point and I think there's some citra in the late additions. Now that I think about it, I'd probably just add some citra to the 10 min and whirlpool, keep the columbus the same and maybe add another 2 oz citra to the dry hop (an oz at each point).

DDH Fort point is one of my favorite beers. Let me know how this turns out. I'd like to give it a shot.

How'd it turn out dry-hopping that early???

Excellent. No trace of any vegetal flavors and the beer is extremely fragrant and refreshing. In fact, I had a neighbor try some and he couldn't believe that the grapefruit/citrus flavors were all from hops...he swore I had to have used fruit.

I've also seen references to them using 007. There was a FP clone recipe in BYO a few years ago. I'll track that down to see what it says for yeast. I seem to recall him saying in a forum or blog post that their yeast is not a low flocc yeast.

My Trillium-inspired beer using 007 came out fantastic so you can definitely make a NEIPA using it. I used it partly because that is what I've seen mentioned as Trillium's yeast and partly to see if I could get a nice hazy, juicy NEIPA.

Back