Tried to use keg to condition, and then bottle with priming sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I needed to free up a fermenter and had a spare keg. I knew that I probably wanted to bottle this batch (a high-graivty saison), but I thought it should be simple enough to stick it in the keg, hit it with co2 for a few secs, and then leave it to condition until I got around to bottling it.

Last night I prepped everything to bottle, including the priming sugar solution, and then opened the keg to rack in to the bottling bucket. After I started racking, I noticed that the beer was already significantly carbonated (maybe it wasn't done fermenting? maybe I hit it with more co2 than I realized?)

Fearing bottle bombs, I decided to put a lid and airlock on the bottling bucket. Of course now it's happily bubbling away, eating through the priming sugar.

My question is how long I should wait -- to be sure the yeast is done with the bottling sugar. Is it safe once the airlock stops bubbling?

Back