Tried mini kegs for first time today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46binder

Reaction score
Included in the brewing equipment haul we got off craigslist were party star mini kegs. Read about the cons, but we got 'em so we tried 'em. Used the Centenntial Blonde that was our first AG batch that had a low gravity. Put it in kegs rather than toss. Not sure how it will carb, plugs don't seem like a real tight seal and hope they don't blow.

Good luck with those. I have a few here, as well as a fass-frisch tap that has a broken dip tube i need to repair.

I found that the bungs that i got with them may have been way too old. midwest supplies and others sell new bungs if you decide you need them. If these don't have the gravity feed tap on the bottom you will need the reusable 2-piece bung, not the vent bung.

Are you carbing in the mini kegs or going to force carb? I am thinking of going with this route. I like the size and how easy it would be to lafer in them. Plus I do not even have the room for a full size kegerator.

Looking on line some of the systems either come with or have co2 conversion kits. This idea is moving up fast on my gift list.

Looking online some of the systems either come with or have co2 conversion kits. This idea is moving up fast on my gift list.

Yeah, well the fass-frisch / party-star system uses 16g co2 cartridges to push out the beer but you do have to prime them naturally. Bad things happen to the kegs when they go over pressure. I still need to take a picture of the one i over-primed.

The kit i bought used also came with a hand pump style dispenser.

And there are DIY instructions for how to build a fitting so that you can use these with an external co2 bottle and tap, just like a regular keg.

I should clarify that in my case the bungs that came with them were visibly pretty old, and they were sticky with old unwashed keg lube. I briefly tried cleaning them and then ordered new from midwest supply.

What type of dispenser system are you using. I am looking at the avanti unit, looks like the most versitle.

What type of dispenser system are you using. I am looking at the avanti unit, looks like the most versitle.

To be honest so far the only one i have used is one with a gravity feed spigot on the bottom.

I overprimed, or i moved it into the keglet too early, but bad things happened when summer arrived. Once i got the excess co2 out of it, it was very good beer, but the keg is dead.

Edgestar has a cheaper system but reviews say they last a year and quit, ratger spend the extra $100 have room to cool a back up (or lager) and have the thing last. It does have a co2 conversion kit but then you only save about $50.

Back