Tried Kombucha for the first time......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointcity-homebrew

Crafting openers 1 at a time
Reaction score
I was walking through the store and happened upon some kombucha, GT's is the brand. decided to buy some and give it a whirl.

It was ok, little vinegary. I have decided to make my own and see if I like it better.

The only issue I am running into is the scoby. I do not have access to raw kombucha, just flavored. I have seen scoby for sale, anything I should shy away from?

Advice is always welcome.

I was walking through the store and happened upon some kombucha, GT's is the brand. decided to buy some and give it a whirl.

It was ok, little vinegary. I have decided to make my own and see if I like it better.

The only issue I am running into is the scoby. I do not have access to raw kombucha, just flavored. I have seen scoby for sale, anything I should shy away from?

I got my start from a SCOBY on Amazon from one of the NY sellers. Kombucha Shop maybe?

I originally used a flavored kombucha to start my scoby, GT's should work. At worst you're out some black tea and sugar. If you really want a full blown scoby to start with, try craigslist. Once you start making kombucha, you'll have way more than you need. I've given away so many scobys, even quart jars full of them. The places selling them for $20 + shipping make me sick, it's one of the cheapest things you can make.

It's great fun and so much easier than brewing beer. Rule #1 though is: Don't disturb the scoby in any way for the first 7 days. This means don't move anything around as it has to settle in a make a baby scoby which will cover the surface and grow until it touches the sides.

You can use distilled vinegar for a starter (3 tbsp) but I haven't done this.

Good luck.

A lot of health food stores sell starters. They are normally over by the refregerators where they keep the kombucha. It's a small amount of starter tea and a piece of a mother.

I used GT Original to grow my SCOBY .. I got six from one bottle and well ... I'm borderline industrial right now :) Making more than I can drink.

I used GT Original to grow my SCOBY .. I got six from one bottle and well ... I'm borderline industrial right now :) Making more than I can drink.

That's what happens! I usually get about 3 quarts every couple of weeks, which is more than I drink. I have a batch right now that I'm letting sit until I drink up some of the existing supply.

Kombucha kamp! I have bought 3 scobys from them to make multiple batches, and have had great Sucess. You can buy direct or off Amozon, I have done both and great service either way. There website although has a lot to offer.

Kombucha kamp! I have bought 3 scobys from them to make multiple batches, and have had great Sucess. You can buy direct or off Amozon, I have done both and great service either way. There website although has a lot to offer.

Why would you buy 3 SCOBYs? You end up with extra all the time. Just curious.

Not yet, I had put everything on the back burner while I took summer classes.

I am revisiting the idea now.

There should be someone near you that can give/sell you one. You can grow it up from a bottle of you have the time.

If you brew with starters, you know the idea, and this is even easier!

Why would you buy 3 SCOBYs? You end up with extra all the time. Just curious.
We found that a 1 gallon batch is not enough. So we are brewing a double batch with 2 scobys in it..
So far we have not had any babies from the mothers, we are only on our second batch.

We found that a 1 gallon batch is not enough. So we are brewing a double batch with 2 scobys in it..

So far we have not had any babies from the mothers, we are only on our second batch.

Ah. The SCOBY will keep growing and do any size batch eventually. But that will speed it up.

I have to second (or third or fifth [shh I didn't read the whole thread... :eek:don't tell]) the Kombucha Kamp suggestion.
I kept up with a batch for over a year, and had outstanding results with what my nephews started calling my "jellyfish tea", but they loved it.

Also the customer service from Kombucha Kamp was unreal. I got multiple email replies about whatever random question I had, and quickly.
Reasonable prices and great selection and service.
When start up kombucha again, I'll buy from them.

Back