Trickle from tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Need help! Have 2 kegs, pin lock w/ picnic taps. Both fine until last time both full, one trickled out (1/2 normal speed?). Did quick check on all connections, nothing wrong. Both empty now and just filled one. Trickling again! Not psi related (it has gas in, appropriate out gas). I changed to both fluid connects and both same trickle (not tap related) and changed the poppits (3 prong connects) and each did same trickle. Metal down tubes not blocked. Clueless. Anyone with this issue in past?

Let me know if I have this right.

Two full kegs.

One had a "trickle" flow problem.

Emptied both kegs.

Filled only one keg.

This keg now has a "trickle" flow problem.

If this correct, I'll see what I can do to help you.

Let me know if I have this right.

Two full kegs.

One had a "trickle" flow problem.

Emptied both kegs.

Filled only one keg.

This keg now has a "trickle" flow problem.

If this correct, I'll see what I can do to help you.

Basically correct. No problems with either until last time they were both in keezer, one "trickled". I didn't mark it so not sure if the full one now is same keg it happened to last time. Which is why I switched out both sets of equipment (except actual keg obviously) thinking one would be the issue at some point but it trickled no matter what. I do fine my beer with gelatin in the keg...but I wouldn't think this would partially clog the outgoing post or poppit.

Are you sure the dip tube is completely clean? I've had hop debris cause a partial blockage that results in the trickle you describe.

Are you sure the dip tube is completely clean? I've had hop debris cause a partial blockage that results in the trickle you describe.

Yup. Checked last time too. I cold crash prior to kegging so no debris ever makes it in.

Are you using the same hose from keg connector to tap?

It is picnic tap set up, I have two sets of hoses/taps and tried each and both did it, so it can't be a hose/tap issue (b/c one worked fine last time). It has to be either keg related (don't see how though) vs the liquid connect? I rinsed the one 3 pronged connect off when I switched them out (at the time, I was pouring off the 1st couple cloudy pints of the settled/fined beer) and it's now clear beer so will try putting the rinsed one back on. Also, gonna fill my empty one with some water and put it under pressure and see if dispenses normal. If the water trickles too, then it would have to be an issue with the picnic tap handles (when tab pushed down, it pulls up on the plastic piece which opens it up for flow, if it is not pulling it up high enough then not opening it fully but I don't see this is adjustable at all so would hope/doubt a new set only used for 3-4 kegs worth of beer is already shot!). Will let you know tonight.

Give the picnic tap handle a pull. Instead of pushing it down with your thumb, push it the other way so it stands up and pull it up and away from the tap itself. That will usually open the valve more than pushing with thumb and might give you a clue.

Hahahahahahah...Figured it out, I think it was a "perfect storm" scenario. Long story short, it ended up being the "head" to the tap of one of my set up's being cheap and flexible leading to lack of pulling stopper open fully. I was "fooled" with both taps being "trickle" b/c when I switched to the "normal" set up I had wrong gas (it's a small freezer and i keep both sets connected so wrapped/twirled up) connected! I had the opposite set of tap tubing connected (which thumb piece felt tighter) and saw I mixed up how the tubing ran and had the valve shut off to the line connected to my keg! Flipped it on and good to go.

handle.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Well, adventures in homebrewing is sending me out another tap handle for free given the limited use this has gotten. Great customer service!

Back