Tri-Clovers... doesn't the gasket make it non-sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuertele

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's something I don't understand about Tri-Clover clamps. There is a gasket between the ferrules. The gasket must separate the ferrules by a certain amount. That means there is a gap, a niche, a crack, a non-polished surface for bugsies to get a foot-hold.

I understand that Tri-Clover clamps are designed for easy breakdown and easy cleaning, but I also thought that they were meant to be good for CIP (Clean In Place) installations where you don't break them down every time.

How is it that Tri-Clover interfaces are considered sanitary?

you sanitize them, use them, break apart, sanitize again, use again... others stay put together longer and are a lot more work to break apart, so they're left together longer. you can put that gasket inside sanitizing liquid and soak it for however long you want every time you use it.

you sanitize them, use them, break apart, sanitize again, use again... others stay put together longer and are a lot more work to break apart, so they're left together longer. you can put that gasket inside sanitizing liquid and soak it for however long you want every time you use it.

But what if I want to build a clean-in-place system? It seems like Tri-Clover clamps would be better than threaded connections, but not as good as welded connections.

I want something that can be left for long periods only doing CIP, but that can still be broken down. Are Tri-Clovers the best option?

But what if I want to build a clean-in-place system? It seems like Tri-Clover clamps would be better than threaded connections, but not as good as welded connections.

I want something that can be left for long periods only doing CIP, but that can still be broken down. Are Tri-Clovers the best option?

Yep - welded is better. But tri-clover is definitely CIP-able. I work in the biotech industry where CIP and SIP (steam in place) is routine and sterility of piping systems is critical. And Tri-clover style clamps are all over the place. The gasket is designed to be flush with the inside diameter of the tubing so that no nasties get hung up there. No worries. Definitely do not use threaded or flanged.

Definitely do not use threaded or flanged.

I think that you are forgetting that we are home brewers and may not be able to spend thousands of dollars on Tri Clover fittings and welded stainless steel plumbing. I use some Tri Clovers but I have no fear because the nasties are killed during the boil. The boil is not a reason to for go keeping your brewery clean and sanitized but the boil should help prevent infections and the like.

I think that you are forgetting that we are home brewers and may not be able to spend thousands of dollars on Tri Clover fittings and welded stainless steel plumbing. I use some Tri Clovers but I have no fear because the nasties are killed during the boil. The boil is not a reason to for go keeping your brewery clean and sanitized but the boil should help prevent infections and the like.

let me clarify - For the boil kettle threaded are fine. like you said - the boil kills everything. I have threaded fittings in my boil kettle.

I was referring to the OP, who mentioned a tubing/ piping set-tup that he plans to CIP. I assumed that this tubing would not be part of the boil. There you do not want threaded - as nasties have all sorts of places to hide.

I think that you are forgetting that we are home brewers and may not be able to spend thousands of dollars on Tri Clover fittings and welded stainless steel plumbing.

hahah Yeah right. You looking at the same HBT I am? There are plenty of people doing just that.

But true it's not for everyone, but the OP asked about Tri Clovers so I'd say he is looking at the option.

Yep - welded is better. But tri-clover is definitely CIP-able. I work in the biotech industry where CIP and SIP (steam in place) is routine and sterility of piping systems is critical. And Tri-clover style clamps are all over the place. The gasket is designed to be flush with the inside diameter of the tubing so that no nasties get hung up there. No worries. Definitely do not use threaded or flanged.

This is exactly right (speaking as someone who is currently responsible for validating CIPs on several ready to drink process lines). Welded is better IF the welds are sanitary. You can run into some pretty crappy weld jobs that cause a lot of problems if they aren't done correctly. The gaskets in tri-clovers can get nasty, but usually only if the gasket is poorly aligned when put back together.

We use them all the time in the food industry with very little trouble. If you put the clamp back together correctly and the gasket is in good condition, then you shouldn't have a problem with your CIP and you should be able to let it go quite a while without taking it apart again.

Additionally, per all the discussion, if you use threaded, they're definitely not CIP, the threads can capture bacteria and other such bad things... You then have to disassemble them, and scrub w/ somethign. CIP requires smooth surfaces, and yes welds can be done 'sanitary' if the welder knows how, but that requires the skill. If not, and it has bumps, holes etc that can hide bugs... you're toast. :)

But what if I want to build a clean-in-place system?

wuertele I have been using Tri-Clamps for years and the CIP system can do a great job as long you use the correct gasket for the job.

Correct gasket size for pipe
100_5447-1.jpg

Correct gasket size for pipe
Tri_Clamp_1in-1.jpg

Wrong gasket, creates a cavity for build up (hop pellet, hot break, etc.)

100_0534.jpg

Wrong gasket size

100_0536.jpg

I also do wet SaniClean assembly with the fermenter clamps.
All the seals and connection are sprayed down before assembly as per Five Star recommendation.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB.

Back